Forked needles, how to position the needle

I know a lot of people have trouble using the forked needles. I know another member said you have to turn the needle until you get a hair in, n that’s the way you would use the needle. I brought some from dolls by sandie. They seem to pick up the hair with the angle pointing down. Melissa said to position the angle to the left. For the ones that use it the forked needle, how do you position the angle of the needle?

1 Like

I can’t use them. I can’t even see the fork, much less position it correctly. lol

5 Likes

I use 42 g forked. Uncut. Point the curve on the handle toward your right hand

1 Like

I use the 43g forked with the fork pointing toward my body (the “L” part of the handle)

2 Likes

BTW, there are terrible forked needles out there and better ones. I like the longer ones. The shorter ones are horrible at picking up hair…I cannot get the hair to go in with those. I get mine from city of reborn angels.

1 Like

The angle your hold your mohair when rooting will also determine which way the elbow of your needle top is facing.

2 Likes

I didn’t get any hairs that way

The ones I have, are the same.

If your L is going front to back then your hair has to be going from side to side. If your L is going side to side your hair has to be going up and down or front to back. Kinda like crossing your t’s. I know that sounds crazy but I am trying to help, lol!

4 Likes

Maybe it depends on who made the needles. It always works that way for me.

1 Like

Lol, I had to read it several times, but I understand what you saying. Thanks.

1 Like

What is it about the forked needles do y’all like…compared to the others?

1 Like

When I first started there was someone on here giving a lot of advice about reborning. She recommended the forked needles because they very rarely break. She went on to explain how well they worked and that if you could learn how to use them you would save a lot of money overall. So I decided to learn how to use them cause I wanted to save money, lol. I have been reborning for 2 years, most of my babies have a lot of hair and I am on the same needle, minus the one I dropped and could not find again, that I started with. I really like them but can not compare cause I have never used any others though I do have some.

1 Like

Melissa said to position the angle to the left. For the ones that use it the forked needle, how do you position the angle of the needle?..I apologize, i miss stayed what Melissa said. I just watched the video again. Her answer to my question was, the notch should either be pointed up or down. I should have watched the video before I made this 2 needle thingy. I totally did it wrong. I’m gonna make another one, useing 3 needles, the right way.

There are different fork settings on needles to fit various industrial machines. So the “L” might have to point a different way depending on where you get them. I’d just poke around on a practice part, then make note of the direction of the “L”. I like to use a wooden needle holder, so at that point I’ll mark the holder with a sharpie so I grab it correctly every time :blush:

That image is from my friends at Groz-Beckert. Check out their needle guide if you’re an art supply research nerd like me! :smile:

2 Likes

I ordered 3 forked needles from dolls by sandie. I just screwed them up. I made a rooting tool with 2 of them, the wrong way. Then I realized I have a bottle of forked needles I brought from a forum member 2 years ago. So I’m going for a 3 needle rooting root. The more needles the quicker I’ll get done, lol, hopefully.

1 Like

Thank you, I believe it was you that posted before about the forked needles. I remembered you saying to turn the needle until you get a hair.

2 Likes

Might have been. I like to play with supplies! And I learned a lot when I started selling them. I actually don’t like forked needles myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I give them a go every once in a while, but always go back to crown or notched…

2 Likes

@Rainbowbabies That is interesting!

@Msmimi04 I do not use a rooting tool, I have one but I like to root without. It seems easier to me. Keep practicing, once you get it a light goes on, lol! Your two needle thingy is cute, let me know how that works!!

2 Likes

Thanks I will.

1 Like