Does it make you nervous when

another reborn artist bids on your dolls? I’m being paranoid, but when I realize that another artist has her eye on mine…I always think it’s cause she can make it better somehow than I did, lol. The one tiny bid I have on my kenlee/sugar right now, is from a fellow artist, it seems, and hers look pretty cute too…it’s not the first time this kind of thing has happened and when they seem to have just as good a talent at reborning as me, or even better, I’m like “what in the world could they want mine for”…especially when they’re selling their own?? Why not just make and bond with your own? But i only make and sell em though…I don’t keep any…so maybe, if you do collect, you just see one no matter if you made it or not, and have to have it???..lol…paranoia, I know…but after my selling adventure with kenlee/sugar, I’m doubting my “talent”

PS also not begging for compliments!!! Just wondered if anyone else might wonder what another artist what woud want with theirs…ya know

i haven’t sold one yet. My first 2 are on Ebay now. But sometimes i think when “ugly” babies sell ( not that yours is ugly!!! please don’t think i mean yours!!!) for cheap to a reborner… it is because they just want a cheap kit to strip and do over. of course with as cheap as BB sells kits, it would have to be a loss for the seller for it to be worth it for the buyer. Know what i mean? I don’t know what your reserve is, but if i could buy a kit, finished or not, for a penny, i sure as heck would do it!! LOL! You just never know what someone sees in the baby they bid on. Every one has different tastes Maybe she just really likes it!! Best of Luck on your auction!

As long as your reserve is higher than what you paid for supplies and what you want for your time, let her buy it. It won’t be as cheap for her as just buying a kit though to unless she plans to just add some detail and outfits and resell it without stripping it totally, I can’t figure it out either. But if it sells for what you want, then consider yourself blessed to have a sale and go on to the next one!

— Begin quote from “djjessie228”

As long as your reserve is higher than what you paid for supplies and what you want for your time, let her buy it. It won’t be as cheap for her as just buying a kit though to unless she plans to just add some detail and outfits and resell it without stripping it totally, I can’t figure it out either. But if it sells for what you want, then consider yourself blessed to have a sale and go on to the next one!

— End quote

this is a good point!! lol

I don’t think it’s a bad thing. For starters, it will get bids going, secondly, if they are artists, it’s easier for them to buy the kit instead of doing a complete makeover of already finished doll. Some artists collect dolls and want to have works by others in their collection. If I was a collector, I’d want to have as many dolls from others as possible

I think she may have found something unique in your baby that appealed to her. Goodness know, everyone here shows off their babies that I would LOVE to have for myself. they would be welcome additions to all the keepers I have–and that’s ALL the babies I’ve made, I’m keeping them all! Maybe one of these days I’ll sell one, but it will probably break my heart. Don’t worry about your sold baby, there’s probably something that really appeals to the buyer, not to mention the beautiful finished product!

— Begin quote from “luv2Lrn”

When I first started out, I had a lady want my second reborn that I had listed. This lady was wanting to learn to reborn so she was willing to bid to win my doll, she won the auction and I was so upset. As I Imagined her tearing my doll apart to learn. I wanted to cnc the bid and keep my baby :0(

But instead I reinforced all the stitching over the cable ties and figured if she was going to tear it apart she was going to have a hard time doing it I was so sad to mail tht little one off, It felt like i was sending it as some kinda test baby…and not to it forever mommy

— End quote

this kinda made me sad and lol at the same time

— Begin quote from “luv2Lrn”

When I first started out, I had a lady want my second reborn that I had listed. This lady was wanting to learn to reborn so she was willing to bid to win my doll, she won the auction and I was so upset. As I Imagined her tearing my doll apart to learn. I wanted to cnc the bid and keep my baby :0(

But instead I reinforced all the stitching over the cable ties and figured if she was going to tear it apart she was going to have a hard time doing it I was so sad to mail tht little one off, It felt like i was sending it as some kinda test baby…and not to it forever mommy

— End quote

Maybe she wanted the baby so she could study the coloring - I had actually thought about that in the beginning. You know, buy a baby to keep nearby so I could compare my work with a very well done doll. So maybe if you think of it that way, you’ll feel much better.

Truthfully, it would have been much easier & cheaper to buy a doll from Good Will or Walmart to learn on, or even to buy one of the sale vinyls than a completed baby!

If I buy a reborn doll, I definitely don’t buy it to tear it apart! I use it to get ideas and for the most part, I enjoy other people’s work.

One of mine sold to a reborner once. It was a painted kit. She said she was a newbie and because she was a perfectionist it took her too long to make one. She said she wanted mine to dress and have fun with but wanted it for a model to learn from. For all I know she may have assembled it and sold it but either way I never looked back. I was just glad it sold so I could reborn another one. I don’t seem to get attached to them unless it is a kit I have bought as a keeper. Out of the 6 I have done all of them are sold but I do have one that I bought from Donna Lee (Asher) and so far he is a keeper. But I have to say I like the whole process of reborning, from start to sell. It makes me feel good that someone likes my reborns enough to buy them. Maybe if you think of it this way it may help. If the person who bought the reborn from you sells it to someone else, then that buyer (mommy) must really want it for their very own.

Yeah, I’ve never seen another reborn either. It would be nice to meet up with someone just to see one. I wouldn’t buy one because every time my brain thinks about it, the other side is calculating how many kits, eyes, etc. I could get instead! So I have way too many kits right now because BB won’t stop having special sales!

Sometimes established reborn artists will purchase a newcomer’s kit to boost their confidence. You know, kind of a mentoring thing. Artists do it all the time to help new artists continue in the craft. Personally I have to totally seperate from a baby before it leaves my home. I have to beging the depersonalizing of it as soon as it is dressed or I will be too emotionally attached to it. It is a funny cycle for me…first I have to get to know the kit, bond with the kit in order to paint the kit properly. Then as I root and finish it I fall in love. Immediately then I have to exit the relationship (of course there is NO relationship because a glob of vinyl cannot relate) and put the doll in a box. That is the easiest for me to handle this. As soon as pictures are done, baby is wrapped and prepared to leave and lid put on. Then onto the next! LOL
joy