Disappearing Mohair?

So ladies, have any of you noticed that something “eats” your mohair when you have dolls stored? I picked up my “Serenity” the other day and noticed her hair was all chewed away in the front! Needless to say I was really peeved but now I’m afraid to look at my babies that are stored away…My question is: Do you think it would be ok to store the babies with a plastic bag/saran wrap covering their heads and secured around their necks with a rubber band/string so nothing can eat their hair. I am told that silverfish will eat their hair. Any input? I don’t want to do something that will hurt the paint. Help!!!

1 Like

I would first wrap the head in acid free tissue paper before putting it in a bag. I’ve stored them like that for 6 - 8 months and they’ve been ok. Camel crickets will also eat mohair.

what the heck are camel crickets? Never heard of these. I’ve heard of carpet beetles eating mohair also.

1 Like

Following

Can these lil creatures be seen with the naked eye?

What? Where do you people live?! :wink:

I just have regular insects. LOL

@lynn would storing them in plastic totes work?

1 Like

I don’t know Jenni, but I think most tiny things can get into totes unless they have really tight fitting lids. It is just so aggravating when you have put all this work into rooting and then this happens. Not to mention you might not have any of that mohair left to do a repair job. Yuck.

1 Like

I’ve read that mites can eat mohair.

Well…i live in southern ohio and we have them here…i hate them…they are just plain gross…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Carpet beetles. Tiny as a pin head bugs. I’ve seen them in my doll beds walking around in their destruction. I now store my for sale babies in sealed plastic containers.