Can I Revive This Fluff?

I’ve been rooting a mini Ofelia for the past couple of weeks and I’m using Slumberland mohair for the very first time. It’s gorgeous. I love it but…I’m running into problems. The strands of mohair are super fine and super super soft. Rooting is taking forever on my mini Ofelia. Maybe I had too many expectations that being such a tiny head that the rooting would go quickly but NOT. Also when I work with the mohair and when I separate it from the batch the hair fluffs up. I was throwing the fluff away but there’s so much of it that I’m starting to see $$$ signs every time I toss it out. My question is, is there any way to revive it back to the wavy mohair that it should be. Again the mohair is beautiful but I think maybe I’m out of my league when it comes to using this particular thin and soft hair. This is only the 3rd baby I have ever rooted. Also after you’re done rooting your babies do you always spritz conditioner on it before you gently brush out the tangles. Every time I was spritzing and brushing I would lose gobs of hair in the process so when I was about 3/4 of the way through I decide to glue it from the inside to keep the hair from coming back out. I actually am having to re-root some areas of Ofelia’s head because de-tangling pulled so much out. This in no way is a complaint about Slumberland mohair…it is gorgeous in every way and I will not hesitate to purchase again from this company but next time I think I’ll look to see if they have thicker batches!! I’ve included a picture of my “fluff” pile from tonight. Thanks ladies!!

2 Likes

Try placing the head on a piece of satin material. Until I did that, I would lose hair, too. It can be very frustrating.

2 Likes

Thanks Amy but I already tried that. All it did was to make Ofelia’s head slide around while I was trying to root her. :confounded:

2 Likes

Whoops!! I hope you find a solution.

1 Like

If you spritz the “fluff” with water, you may be able to collect it back together. Also when you take portions out if you loosly tie it together with ribbon, you may be able to keep it together better and not lose so much. Just some ideas. :confused:

1 Like

Oh and I think it is because it is so fine that you’re having this trouble. I have some from a different supplier that I’ve had the same problems with. Looks exactly like yours. Just finer than what I’ve been used to and I’m having to figure it out as I go.

2 Likes

Jackie, try using a bowl that’s not too much bigger than the head. Put a soft cloth in the bowl or something to pad it. You don’t want the head too far down in the bowl. I then put a satin sleep cap over the bowl put the head in and root away. I use a silicone pot holder under the bowl on the table to keep it from sliding around. With the head nestled nicely in a bowl it doesn’t move around. Just pad the bowl to accommodate the head. I hope this makes sense. I don’t lose hair much this way cause the head isn’t moving all over the place. Try it-----maybe it will help you.

3 Likes

Jackie, PMd you.

1 Like

Have u ever seen the baby blanket roll that little munchkins rooting tutorial has, where she rolls the blanket up to make a holder type thing to put the baby’s head it? I do that and then put a piece of non slip cupboard liner on top and lay my head in that. It makes a huge difference and does not mess up or pull the hair out.

What I see with that ball of ‘fluff’ is, how are you going to tell which is the end you should be rooting into the doll head. I understand the $$ lost but if you can’t find the cut ends …I would waste it. I can see a couple of larger bits that may be salvaged…I also use a butterfly/paper clip on one end so I always know which is which. I’ll go get one and add a pic. Oh, and I always root a small section, lightly wet it and then cut. I find this way is easier to get the style I’m looking for and can also ‘see’ where I’m going with it. Tip…have a clean new cosmetic wedge on hand to dab up too much moisture on the head.

2 Likes

Amy…Thank you so much for your suggestions. I really do appreciate your help. It just seems that rooting is my nemesis. I know I need a lot more patience and practice.

Lillipop_cradle…Thank you for your input. I’m going to try both of your suggestions. I agree that this is happening because its so thin and soft plus the fact that being new to rooting I’m not really good at knowing how to handle the mohair.

Lynn…Thank you for the idea of using a soft cloth in a small bowl. Right now a have a small and a large rooting pillow that I bough online but the hair is tangling terrible. Yes it all makes sense! Thank you so much!

jeanhai…I got your PM. Thank you so much for the help. I really do appreciate it. There is so much I still have to learn about reborning, especially rooting.

Sony…Maybe what I ordered from Slumberland was kid mohair. Next time I think I’ll try the yearling. I have tried rooting just a strand or two of mohair using a 43g single barb needle. I still had a problem with the mohair fluffing up. I had to smile when you said your cat got into a bunch of your mohair. Glad that you got at least some of it to come back!

shandeni…No I haven’t but will try that. Thanks for the idea!!

Missly21…I didn’t even think of that but you’re right even if I could revive the fluff I would have no way of knowing which it top and which is the bottom of the bunch. Thank you for the picture of how you clip one end so that you always know which end is which!! Love the tip about having a clean cosmetic wedge handy to dab up the moisture on the head!!

My BB Peeps…Thank you all for taking the time to share and post your helpful hints with me. You are all so very awesome! Some day I hope to be able to return the favor. Love this group and all of you ladies!! :heart_eyes: :heart:

3 Likes

You can tell the difference between top and bottom by running your fingers down it. It will be silky one direction, but rough in the wrong direction. That is, if it’s not too much of a mess!!

1 Like