Bout to give up

I don’t mean to keep goin on about my bad luck selling my sugar, but it’s never taking me this long to sell one before!! Am I missing something? I mean “HONESTLY”…please tell me!! I think she’s beautiful, and I KNOW she’s my best work so far! I have her listed on everything from etsy to yardsellr, and this is her 4th time going on ebay. I’ve listed her every way I know possible. I’m trying the start her at a penny and put a reserve price and hope for the best method this time :confused: she FINALLY got a bid this time…all of a whole penny so far…please be honest…is she not as good I think? I mean, I know she’s not as good as some either, but if I was in the market for a reborn and I saw her, I think I’d really like her?? I D K…I guess if the money wasn’t so needed it probably wouldn’t bother me so bad…that and the fact that how quickly my dolls usually go, has spoiled me I guess…anyways, here’s the link to her auction…opinions, advice?? Please?? Thanks

PS…I think I’m gonna let her ride this auction out and see how it goes…if she don’t sell this time…Kenlee may become a kenneth and see what happens then, lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reborn-Baby-Gir … 19d1e9823f

— Begin quote from “robincarrol”

Truthfully your pics are super hard to see. They are really blurry. That might be a lot of your problem right there. Pics should be super clear. I never put fuzzy borders on etc. Just clear full size pictures of the baby.

— End quote

thanks for that! Up until the end of the third time around, I had clearer shots…then I started feeling like my pics weren’t as pretty, or didn’t feel as “warm” I guess, as other auctions I see, that do actually sell…This will be her first full length auction with the “focal shots”. (I tried to keep the parts of her I was focusing on, mostly clear). But like I said, I think if she don’t sell this time, I’m gonna switch her to a boy and I’ll have to do a different photo shoot for her then anyways. I’ll try to keep the next shoot, if there needs to be one, clearer. Thanks for the advice…please keep it coming, lol Not like I can do a lot about how she looks at this point anyways, but am I missing something during my reborn process??? I’m going to invest some of what I make, I think, into some of the peaches and cream, strawberries and cream, etc…tutorials…but I think for never having read any of them, I’m doin sort of ok??? I think…am I missing something?

well, she isn’t horrible! so don’t think that! Here is what i think:
The pictures (like previously stated) are blurry. THey also look like they were taken with a flash. She seems very pale. I don’t know if that is from a flash washing her out or her actual skin tone. The picture of her head is super blurry. it is hard to see the rooting. A new photo shoot wether she is a boy or a girl would be good. What is your reserve?
I know you can’t do much about changing her now but for next time:
do several different colors of mottling. Very thin layers. They all add up and add depth. Do your mottling with various sponges that have been altered. To do this take a cosmetic sponge and pluck holes in it with tweezers. do it randomly. Pounce your mottling color on with this! if the dots are too defined, pounce lightly over them with a plain cosmetic sponge.
Also, i have started using a yellow wash with most of my dolls. you can do more than one, just do it lightly. then do a flesh layer and then do another. It will warm them up and give them a nice peachy glow.
another tip that works well is Linseed oil. Put 3 to 4 drops into EVERY layer of flesh that you do. It keeps the doll from getting chalky looking.
you can do a thin wash of “warm blush” to give the baby more dimension too. The more layers you do… the better it will look!! I think i put on about 25 layers on my Anna.
More color on the eyelids would be good too. do a wash of the eyelid purple and a wash of the lip and nail. if it needs more, do it again.
You may actually be able to do a bit more blushing on her now if she doesn’t sell this time. I have been told that you can cover their hair with a damp washcloth and bake them that way. Brighten up her little face a bit
I hope some of this helps. I don’t know, maybe you already did all of those things. They are just the things that i have found make the biggest difference.

1 Like

Believe me, my photos were bad so I’m not an expert at photographing dolls. But one thing that bugged me while looking at your auction was the variety of the lighting from natural to almost blue to black and white. That along with some photos blurring at the edges might be too much for folks to feel like they are really seeing the details on the doll. I don’t think you did a bad job on the doll. I just don’t like that sculpt very much. Hope things pick up for you.

She looks as if she has a yellow/brown/orange stain above her upper lip, behind her knee, on the bottoms of her feet, and on her toes. The pictures are blurry and hard to see any real detail. Her eyebrows look smudged. How much is your reserve? I sold my first 15 dolls for between $50 and $100 just to make back what I put into them so I could keep learning. Maybe you should figure out exactly what you have into her for the kit, the body, weighting materials, and clothing and offer her at a BIN for that price?

— Begin quote from “becky61779”

The pictures (like previously stated) are blurry. THey also look like they were taken with a flash. She seems very pale. I don’t know if that is from a flash washing her out or her actual skin tone. The picture of her head is super blurry. it is hard to see the rooting. A new photo shoot wether she is a boy or a girl would be good. What is your reserve?
do several different colors of mottling. Very thin layers. They all add up and add depth. Do your mottling with various sponges that have been altered. To do this take a cosmetic sponge and pluck holes in it with tweezers. do it randomly. Pounce your mottling color on with this! if the dots are too defined, pounce lightly over them with a plain cosmetic sponge.
Also, i have started using a yellow wash with most of my dolls. you can do more than one, just do it lightly. then do a flesh layer and then do another. It will warm them up and give them a nice peachy glow.
another tip that works well is Linseed oil. Put 3 to 4 drops into EVERY layer of flesh that you do. It keeps the doll from getting chalky looking.
you can do a thin wash of “warm blush” to give the baby more dimension too. The more layers you do… the better it will look!! I think i put on about 25 layers on my Anna.
More color on the eyelids would be good too. do a wash of the eyelid purple and a wash of the lip and nail. if it needs more, do it again.
You may actually be able to do a bit more blushing on her now if she doesn’t sell this time. I have been told that you can cover their hair with a damp washcloth and bake them that way. Brighten up her little face a bit
I hope some of this helps. I don’t know, maybe you already did all of those things. They are just the things that i have found make the biggest difference.

— End quote

thank you! I espeically like what you had to say about the eyelids…I only ever use the purple and I’m always tryin hard to not make it look dead or like eye makeup like some of my earlier ones did. When you say mottling in several colors…what colors do you use for that? I think I used the blushing colors for her, and I know there’s several layers of it, but only in one color…what colors SHOULD I use in layers for that part? BTW, love your milo!! He’s the cutest one of that sculpt I think I’ve seen

— Begin quote from “maggiebridget09”

I think Ebay is kind of slow this time of year. I’ve noticed this over the years. I have two dolls that didn’t sell on Ebay recently. Usually, I have no problem selling a doll.

— End quote

ugh! It sucks doesn’t it, lol. Drives me CRAZY!!

I think you have done a nice job.

I agree with the photos, customers dont want any photo shop done usually. So just leave them. Find a nice sunny spot in your house to take photos. Dont put the baby directly in the light but make sure the room is lit up enough to bring the true colours out.

I did notice her upper lip around her nose there is a colour change where you may have missed painting. Have you shaded her creases? Plus on her foot their is a strange “extra” peice of paint.

Best of luck.

— Begin quote from “jubileej”

She looks as if she has a yellow/brown/orange stain above her upper lip, behind her knee, on the bottoms of her feet, and on her toes. The pictures are blurry and hard to see any real detail. Her eyebrows look smudged. How much is your reserve? I sold my first 15 dolls for between $50 and $100 just to make back what I put into them so I could keep learning. Maybe you should figure out exactly what you have into her for the kit, the body, weighting materials, and clothing and offer her at a BIN for that price?

— End quote

I have noticed that in the pics too…that’s actually blushing that unfortunately doesn’t show up true to color in those pics :/…around her feet that’s what it is anyways…Not sure about around her lip and knee…I know in person she doesn’t have “smudges” for lack of better word, around those areas. Which leaves me to believe it’s probably the same, misrepresented blushing thing, goin on. her eyebrows aren’t smudged…at least I don’t think they are…I wouldn’t consider em smudged…I see how they’d look like that in some of the pics though…guess I shouldn’t have messed with tryin to make the pics look better…but I’d had her in like 2 and a half auctions when I decided the pics just weren’t “cuddly” enough…so I thought I’d try something new…the number of watchers did increase after I did that. But maybe I shoulda just left em alone…goodness, people just don’t realize all that goes into this hobby do they! Everything from making sure the face is going to look right with the color of eyes and hair we choose, to having enough talent to get paint on there at all, to being a photographer, lol. I do so enjoy it though. Thanks for the input!!! I’m gonna try to keep notes and stuff and keep all this mind as I go along

— Begin quote from “emeraldhillnursery”

I think you have done a nice job.

I agree with the photos, customers dont want any photo shop done usually. So just leave them. Find a nice sunny spot in your house to take photos. Dont put the baby directly in the light but make sure the room is lit up enough to bring the true colours out.

I did notice her upper lip around her nose there is a colour change where you may have missed painting. Have you shaded her creases? Plus on her foot their is a strange “extra” peice of paint.

Best of luck.

— End quote

the extra piece of paint, that I think you’re referring to, is a strawberry birthmark. I put it on all of my dolls, unless it’s a custom and they don’t want it…I’ve never had anyone not request it though. I do it because my little boy has one just like that. It’s not a raised strawberry bump, it’s a “blushed blotch” lol, right about in the same spot on his foot. I have a video about it on my youtube channel. I’m not seeing that spot around her mouth on her in person…it must be something that didn’t come across just right on the pics, maybe? Thanks for the info on taking the pics though…My last few dolls, I haven’t had a hard time really getting pics I liked, but I just couldn’t get, on camera, to come through, what I REALLY love about her when I’m looking at her…

Oh, don’t give up! I loved your baby, and being more of an amateur, I didn’t notice anything wrong in her coloring; I love the sculpt, and I think you did a great job. My only advice is that your descriptions are long…more is less, and maybe in colored pretty font. Otherwise I love it!

— Begin quote from “Bev_B”

some great advice so far, however I see no one has mentioned her hair line. It looks quite far back, if you look at robincarrols sig baby her hairline is perfect. As a rough guide I measure from the chin to between the eyes and use this measurement from between the eyes to forehead to start, then use the front of the ear as a guide for the sides. I hope you don’t mind I have added guidelines to one of your pics to explain how I would root her:

the first line at the side I would root upto in the same thickness as the rest of the head, the line that goes further forward I would root finer and cut shorter just to give her baby hairs but this is optional if you don’t feel confident enough to do it. I also find it best to take pics of blonde hair when dry.
I hope you aren’t offended by this as you did ask for honesty, good luck with your sale.

— End quote

I don’t mind at all! Thank you!!

— Begin quote from “LittleMama”

Oh, don’t give up! I loved your baby, and being more of an amateur, I didn’t notice anything wrong in her coloring; I love the sculpt, and I think you did a great job. My only advice is that your descriptions are long…more is less, and maybe in colored pretty font. Otherwise I love it!

— End quote

thank you!! For your kind words and your advice . I KNOW!! I HATE trying to describe everything!! I feel like I’ve written a book after I get all that put in but I hate to leave anything out too :confused: I know what you’re sayin though!! I think the same thing about my descriptions.

I really have nothing to add as far as critique and help in selling your adorable baby. I think these gals have nailed it and with these suggestions she will find her momma very soon. Don’t give up. Reborn sales are just slow right now…she will sell.

http://www.mysmiley.nethttp://www.mysmiley.net

But I must add that this has been a wonderful thread to read with all of the honest and super kind help and the total acceptance and desire to work towards a sale. wooohooo!!!

— Begin quote from “Bev_B”

I like to space out my text between photos to break up the large paragraphs, you’ll always get some people who don’t read descriptions! This is how I would layout your text & photos (obviously you can add more than one pic where I have put pic):

The Skies of Blue Nursery welcomes you and would like to invite you to meet little Kenlee Like this item, but think we’re charging too much? Make us an offer!! We MIGHT accept it!
(general pic)

Name: Kenlee
weight:
length:

I fell in love with this little one from the moment I saw her and with each layer of paint and every ounce she gained, so did her place in my heart. She’s so serene and loves to be held. From her little chubby belly, to her few extra chins, cuddling with this little one is hard to beat.
(face close up pic)
Baby Kenlee was brought to life using layer upon layer of Genesis Heat Set Paints, until a realistic, BEAUTIFUL, 3 dimensional skintone was achieved. Her coloring was baked and set, layer after layer, so it should never fade or wipe off.
(skin pic)
She has hand painted, light brown eyebrows that are there, but just barely. Just the way they might be found on a real newborn about Kenlee’s age.
(eyebrow close up pic)
I hand rooted every soft, ash blonde hair myself to give the appearance of a sparsely rooted, newborn soft head. She has barey there hand rooted eyelashes that match perfectly. All of which has been sealed from the inside. So as long as your careful, her hair can be combed and styled the way you like it.
(hair & eyelash close up)
Kenlee’s little nose has been open, so she can breathe, and her little fingers and toes have all been finely manicured by me. Her lips were hand painted to a perfect hint of pink and all were then sealed and glossed to give the appearance of a healthy shine on her nails, and the moist mouth of a newborn.
(hands & feet close up pic)
Kenlee also has GORGEOUS mottling!! It’s not too dark, and not too light. It gives the appearance that she’s only a month or so old and makes her so much more lifelike and loveable. She has tiny, strategically placed veins and capillaries throughout her head and limbs. Some so small it’s hard to pick up with the camera.
(vein close up)
She’s been weighted with polyfill and plastic pellets. Her pellets have been sealed and then double sacked in nylon stockings so they should never leak out. There’s no sand in this baby. NO SKIES OF BLUE BABY WILL EVER CONTAIN SAND!!! This precious girl has full legs, 3/4 arms, and a jointed body, so she’s fully poseable. This makes her perfect for keeping on display in your favorite pose, or easy to move around for the most comfortable and lifelike cuddling position.
(general full pic)
As always, (unless otherwise directed, by a custom order), Kenlee comes with the trademark of the Skies of Blue Nursery. The strawberry birthmark on the bottom of her right foot. It’s something I started doing when I started my nursery as a way to pay homage to my baby boy (who’s now six years old), and LOVES that every baby mommy makes, comes complete with his special “angel’s kiss”.
(birthmark pic)
This little girl has warmed my heart, and she will anyone’s who holds her! She does NOT have a magnet. She’s so special, I wanted anyone, even someone who might have special needs, to be able to cuddle with her as long as they wish. Baby Kenlee is loved here, but is ready to find her forever home.
(general pic)
She comes from a pet and smoke free home.

I accept paypal only please. Shipping to US only.

— End quote

thank you!!! I wish I was better with HTML too :confused: that would help a lot, lol

— Begin quote from “almawisecup”

— Begin quote from “becky61779”

— End quote

thank you! I espeically like what you had to say about the eyelids…I only ever use the purple and I’m always tryin hard to not make it look dead or like eye makeup like some of my earlier ones did. When you say mottling in several colors…what colors do you use for that? I think I used the blushing colors for her, and I know there’s several layers of it, but only in one color…what colors SHOULD I use in layers for that part? BTW, love your milo!! He’s the cutest one of that sculpt I think I’ve seen

— End quote

For mottling i use several colors. I use the warm blush. I also use warm blush with a touch of eyelid pruple. I have also used just the lip and nail color. And also i have used a combination of warm blush, yellow and a bit of brown. just do them super light and pounce all the hard edges off. You don’t want the doll to look like it has some sort of disease LOL! For the eyelids i do a few washes of purple, then a wash or 2 of the lip and nail. then i put the tiny capillaries on. I include all of the other washes on the eyelids as well in addition to the ones just for the eyelids. Hope that helps!

— Begin quote from “CindyM”

I really have nothing to add as far as critique and help in selling your adorable baby. I think these gals have nailed it and with these suggestions she will find her momma very soon. Don’t give up. Reborn sales are just slow right now…she will sell.

http://www.mysmiley.nethttp://www.mysmiley.net

But I must add that this has been a wonderful thread to read with all of the honest and super kind help and the total acceptance and desire to work towards a sale. wooohooo!!!

— End quote

i KNEW WE COULD DO IT CINDY!!!