Amazing Thrift Store Find

WOW! Congrats! It is lovely!!!

1 Like

Congrats on your find!

Looks like one I had for my son. Itā€™s at my in-laws now but Iā€™m thinking of bringing it back here for reborns, I donā€™t really have the room for it, though. (Eyes guest room with a mental measuring tape).

2 Likes

oh, please donā€™t think I am against child safety. When my children were young (after the whole LUV seat thing) we always used seat belts and proper child (and adult) restraints. The rest of the LUV seat story is that my ex installed seat belts in the car about a week after we came home from the hospital. And my son was hit by a car while riding his bicycle and if he had not been wearing his helmet he would most likely have been killed, a he landed on his head and it cracked his helmet. I am also all for keeping kids safe and would never have allowed my children to do the same things I did, nor would I want my grandchildren doing them. I am a stickler for seat belts and child restraints, as well as life jackets while boating and doing water sports. When my son was 3 years old I became a police officer and have seen first hand, on more occasions than I care to remember, the tragic results of failure to use proper restraints while riding in an automobile. Believe me, notifying a family about the death of their loved one is not something I would wish on anyone. We did stuff back in the day because our parents didnā€™t know any better, and in some cases, because it was the recommended thing to do. My parents were not careless with me. I got all of my proper vaccinations, checkups, and my mother was, by choice, a stay-at-home mom who devoted her life to raising my sisters and me. Before she married she had a thriving business as a dance instructor - owned 3 dance studios - but sold them because she wanted to be a full time mom. She made sure that in addition to excelling in our school studies and extra-curricular activities, that we also completed ā€œfinishing schoolā€ so we would use proper etiquette and could hold-our-own so to speak in social situations. She even brought me hot fried chicken and vegetables to school for lunch several days a week so it would be fresh (yes, we were doted on). The very thought of fried anything now makes some parentsā€™ heads spin, but that is what people in the South ate then - we know now that fried food, heavy on the grease is not good for you. I am very happy that we have made so many advances with regard to health and safety. I was just saying that we did survived some mighty unsafe things and its a wonder we made it to adulthood.

5 Likes

My nursery IS my guest room. Guests get the blow up mattress. My son-in-law hates to stay over with us because he has to share a room with the babies. I think he has seen one too many Chucky movies. LOL!!

3 Likes

No you didnā€™t offend me. I just wanted to make sure that it was understood that I am very concerned with keeping kids safe. I agree with you, however, that CPS guidelines are a bit over the top at times. The auto safety advances and regulations are a necessity now. There werenā€™t nearly as many cars on the road when I was a child as there are now. Actually there werenā€™t even any interstate highways in my neck of the woods. It stands to reason that there were not nearly as many accidents then. It was just a different time. No worries though. No offense was taken.:blush:

2 Likes

Absolutely No offense taken from anyone! Iā€™m just saying how different things are now. We got almost all of our shots at school, yep, in those days they sent home a permission slip to parents so they could say whether or not you were allowed to get a shot-----guess what----Mom always sent us back with the slip and our dollar and off to the cafeteria we went to stand in line for our shot, Yuk! I will say we didnā€™t have as many vaccines then and when someone got a childhood illness your mom dragged you off to their house so you would get it too and get it over with, specially if it was summertime, that way you wouldnā€™t miss school with some sickness. Nice Momā€™s huh?? We were never in the house, ran all over town and nobody even knew where we were. Nobody worried in those days, heck nobody would take you----nobody wanted you! LOL. We lived in a GREAT time, too bad the kids of today will never get to experience it ! It makes me sad for the little ones of today.

4 Likes

Those were the days I remember too, Lynn. I also remember being afraid I would get polio. Oh, and being afraid weā€™d get nuked. It was so helpful to crouch under your desk. Like that was going to keep you from getting fried by an atom bomb. We were scared to death. Our town still had an air raid siren and they would blow it to announce we were under attack and we would crouch under the desks until they sounded the all clear. I also remember when they changed the polio shots to sugar cubes. Boy were we happy! I remember all these things from long ago, but sheesh! Whereā€™d I leave my reading glasses?

4 Likes

Bette, I still want your crib! :smile:

2 Likes

We never had anything like an air raid siren but I do remember the teacher clapping her hands and that was our signal to dive for cover under our desks----earthquake practiceā€”Iā€™ve always lived in southern California since I came from Scotland in 1949, Those desks were LIFE SAVERS werenā€™t they?

1 Like

I guess thatā€™s why we didnā€™t need seat belts and helmets. We had our magic desks! I was born in 1949. Where did you live in SoCal? I lived there from the time I was 12ā€¦Beverly Hills and Canoga Parkā€¦also L.A. near the La Brea Tar Pits.

Duck and Cover!

2 Likes

I love your crib. It is beautiful and the drop side is perfect for reborns. It is hard to photograph through the railings of the bed. The drop side is very hard to find since they are banned.

2 Likes

I have lived in Vista all my life (in the US) itā€™s a small town about 30 miles North of San Diego and inland about 7 miles from Oceanside, We have nice weather here. Vista is known as the Climatic Wonderland of the World. Wish we had seasons here, the sun shines all the time and it gets boring. If anyone see this and lives in my area I would love to have a doll friend.

1 Like

i live in the Pacific Northwest now and we have seasons. They are sort of abbreviated, but still nice. I never liked CA weather. I was born in WI and then lived in CA and was very homesick for WI. I hated how all the towns in the Southern California area run together and I missed the seasons. Plus, I am very fair skinned and couldnā€™t really take advantage of the beach culture. Now that Iā€™m not there anymore, I miss the long warm summer nights when we used to hang out outside enjoying the respite from the intense summer heat. But I donā€™t miss the heat. I never could take it.

2 Likes

I HATE the heat !!!

1 Like