1950s crib

I got this vintage crib today for $35. It is a small 1950s crib I am told. I want to repaint it and I have to find a mattress for it or make one.

2 Likes

Love it! What a great find!

Neat!! You can buy thick foam rolled up at walmart in the craft section. Its what my mother in law used for the mattress she made for the bassinet my father in law made for my Bella.

What a great crib, looks like it’s in good condition. Don’t buy leaded paint though!

What a great buy! and the price is even better!

I love it. Looks great.

Beautiful find! You can also buy foam at Joann’s or another fabric store. Look for a sale or use a 40% off coupon. I made one for the little crib my family had (now being stored for my sister at my house unassembled…grumble, grumble…I need more baby space!) It’s from the 40s and killing me not to use it! Be careful if you strip the old paint due to a possibility of lead. But love the size and the spindles!

Nice find. I am refinishing one very similar. Huge amount of work!
I was told by the lady I bought it from they were called day beds(cribs) and were used mostly in the kitchen to help keep baby warmer and out of mischief prior to central heat and play pens. I called it a doll crib…silly me!

I DECIDED TO REPAINT THE CRIB THE SAME COLOR TO MAKE IT EASIER SINCE WITH MY ALLERGIES SANDING AND STRIPPING IS A DIFFICULT THING. YOU MAY NOT CAN SEE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE PAINT BUT IT IS BETTER. THERE ARE SOME UNEVEN PLACES WHERE THE OLD PAINT HAD CHIPPED OFF AND A SMALL CRACK IN THE HEAD/FOOT BOARD THAT I DID PUT SOME PUTTY IN BUT NOTHING THAT I CAN NOT LIVE WITH.
I PURCHASED SOME VALSPAR GLOSS SPRAY PAINT THAT IS PAINT AND PRIMER IN ONE. IT SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED WELL IN COVERING EVERYTHING. BEFORE I PAINTED I REPLACED THE WORN WOOD SCREWS. I COULD NOT REMOVE ONE OF THE SCREWS SINCE IT WAS IN SO TIGHT SO I LEFT IT AND ON ONE PLACE SOMEONE HAD NAILED IT UP IN REPLACEMENT SO I LEFT THAT ALONE. YOU WILL SEE IN ONE OF THE PHOTOS I HAVE PULLED OUT SOME VINTAGE CHENILLE I HAVE HERE. I AM THINKING OF DYING THE WHITE PIECE BLUE AND TRYING MY HAND AT MAKING MYSELF A BABY QUILT WITH PINK AND BLUE SQUARES.

CRIB BEFORE PAINTING:

CRIB AFTER PAINTING:

2 Likes

really nice job!