Why is it so hard to get honest opinions?

It seems so hit or miss around here. People ask for honest opinions and either no one responds, or most say the same thing. Just nice words. There have been plenty of babies posted on here and honestly i thought “oh… hmmmm” But i didn’t want to say anything for fear of hurting someones feelings. But if a post says flat out “honest opinions wanted”, then why don’t people do that? I want REAL critiques of my babies!! My feelings will not be hurt. So i get some posts that are 3 pages with people giving praise, and some critiques, or i get a post with 40 views and not one comment??? What does that mean??? Does it mean the baby sucks and no one wants to say anything?? I just don’t get it. Maybe i am annoyed and shouldn’t be. I don’t know. But i really like this forum and it is such a great place to advice and learn new things. I just wish everyone would be honest! And if you read a post that asks for an opinion… for heaven sakes… LEAVE ONE. Please???

1 Like

Thanks!! I wasn’t sure where i was gonna go with him. He was expressionless!! LOL! and his hands and feet were kinda weird too. Not the best sculpt, but he did turn out fabulous! I was very proud of him Thanks!!! and see how many people viewed this thread??? and only you commented… I just don’t get it. weird.

Ok I just have to reply here! I am still very new to reborning so I often read the post but don’t reply because I feel like I’m not qualified to give critiques. However I do want to see what other who have been reborning have to say so that I can learn. Never thought about how it would seem to see how many have viewed but not replied.

I just read this post and I think you have great babies.

i feel the same way sometimes so i understand

— Begin quote from “luv2Lrn”

Hey, i posted on your thread… gave my honest opinion. I get lots of views and no post also… I thought tht means whatever i posted sucked

Who knows does my feeling get hurt? Sure, that’s why i use to hardly ever post my work., But this year i made a promise to myself that i was going to try and post more of my work…even if it is painful, and no one responds.

The ladies here have been great! You also have to remember–sometimes people come back more then once to see what other have posted…so tht could be it also. Well–that’s what i tell myself anyway

— End quote

Yes you did!! And thank you!! you have given opinions on quite a few of my posts and i am thankful for that! And yes, i realize that some people just come back to view it again and don’t leave another post. I understand that. I think kmost people just don’t leave a comment though… and that is annoying to me LOL! Seriously, i’m a big girl, i can take it!! I NEED people who know what they are looking at to tell me how i am doing. All of my friends and family think my dolls are amazing because they have never seen any other ones before!!! That doesn’t help me LOL! I just need more eyes to critique my work. I usually see things that need to be fixed, but not all. I don’t know how to price my stuff because i don’t know how they compare to other dolls. I look at the ones on ebay and think “oh my, that doll is horrible!” LOL!

Well, to be perfectly honest, I started looking at your babies, got distracted and ended up making an “about” page on Etsy…or trying to. I can’t quite get my pics small enough to get it done. Then I went to Facebook to see if there are any new pictures of Sophia. Then I checked to see how many people have looked at our “house for sale” in homefinder. Then I had to have a brownie. See? That’s how I am…I flit back and forth and then forget what I was doing in the first place. Yep. I’m dingy that way. Wait…what were we talking about?

lol!!!

I just “liked” you on FB and got to see your very adorable Anna again

— Begin quote from “becky61779”

It seems so hit or miss around here. People ask for honest opinions and either no one responds, or most say the same thing. Just nice words. There have been plenty of babies posted on here and honestly i thought “oh… hmmmm” But i didn’t want to say anything for fear of hurting someones feelings. But if a post says flat out “honest opinions wanted”, then why don’t people do that? I want REAL critiques of my babies!! My feelings will not be hurt. So i get some posts that are 3 pages with people giving praise, and some critiques, or i get a post with 40 views and not one comment??? What does that mean??? Does it mean the baby sucks and no one wants to say anything?? I just don’t get it. Maybe i am annoyed and shouldn’t be. I don’t know. But i really like this forum and it is such a great place to advice and learn new things. I just wish everyone would be honest! And if you read a post that asks for an opinion… for heaven sakes… LEAVE ONE. Please???

— End quote

Becky the reason is most people ask for honest critiques but when you give them your honest critiques they get there felling hurt so everyone has just started say how cute the babies are to keep from causing problems! I really wish it was not that way because that is the only way we can get better is by learning from what we may be doing wrong!

Becky this is a problem everywhere unless there is a separate area for critiquing. Maybe in the REBORN SHOWCASE we could either put “HAVE A LOOK” or “PLEASE CRITIQUE” or something similar in our heading so people would know if we REALLY want critiques or just pats on the back. We are all capable of being gentle and loving while we help and guide someone in an area that needs a bit of tweaking. I don’t think anyone is out to hurt anyones feelings. It would be WONDERFUL if we had a sub-heading in the showcase are for this but until that day we can make it work with a bit of creativity. It would only take a few examples and everyone would pick up on the idea.

I think if you want critiquing it doesn’t have to be done publicly…you could ask for others to PM you with help…sometimes that is easier for people.

I am sorry this has been happening but the huge numbers of views and small numbers of comments is also pretty normal on forums. It seems there is a core group who communicate regularly and a ton of people who just read.

For the record: your are doing great. I’m not a fan of Milo but I almost like him now since I saw yours.
p.s. where did the pics of Milo and Anna go? did you delete them?

I’m only 6 mos. into this, so I’ve never given an “honest” review…who am I to judge someone else’s work? About 95% of the babies ARE gorgeous in my eyes, and the other 5%, well there wouldn’t be much I feel I could be qualified to say anything about. Some people on the Forum are really good at giving honest feedback…honest, gentle, and helpful. And sometimes people just want to look. My suggestion is to notice those who give the kind of feedback I mentioned, and pm them as suggested in a previous post. I’d volunteer a couple of those people, but that would put them on the spot! If I had misgivings about a baby of mine, I’d certainly ask them directly…you know who you are my friends!

— Begin quote from “CindyM”

Becky this is a problem everywhere unless there is a separate area for critiquing. Maybe in the REBORN SHOWCASE we could either put “HAVE A LOOK” or “PLEASE CRITIQUE” or something similar in our heading so people would know if we REALLY want critiques or just pats on the back. We are all capable of being gentle and loving while we help and guide someone in an area that needs a bit of tweaking. I don’t think anyone is out to hurt anyones feelings. It would be WONDERFUL if we had a sub-heading in the showcase are for this but until that day we can make it work with a bit of creativity. It would only take a few examples and everyone would pick up on the idea.

I think if you want critiquing it doesn’t have to be done publicly…you could ask for others to PM you with help…sometimes that is easier for people.

I am sorry this has been happening but the huge numbers of views and small numbers of comments is also pretty normal on forums. It seems there is a core group who communicate regularly and a ton of people who just read.

For the record: your are doing great. I’m not a fan of Milo but I almost like him now since I saw yours.
p.s. where did the pics of Milo and Anna go? did you delete them?

— End quote

No i didn’t delete them, i organized my photobucket and put them into different folders so i didn’t have to sift through so many pictures LOL! I put a whole new thread in the marketing section with a bunch of new pictures for critique. Th problem with PM’s is that i don’t really know anyone here being so new and i wojld feel like a bother just pm’g a stranger.

— Begin quote from “eeyoredag”

I am guilty of reading & not posting. This is my entertainment since I don’t have TV. I don’t post because I am not a reborn artist. I am the one drooling over all the lovely babies I can never have!! Looking is free and so I look!! I can give my opinions of what I look for as an adoptive mommy but that’s all I can do!! I don’t/didn’t think that is what was being asked for so I keep my yap shut & just drool!!

— End quote

You would be a great one to ask “How much would you pay for this doll?”" !!! I need that advice too!!!

I must admitt i dont make comments about peoples work for two reasons 1. if everyone says the baby looks beautiful i dont want to the only one who says something that might need fixing. Why because i have seen someone do that and the person says this is the look they were going for and they are not going to change it. 2. I have no art behind me and i self taught myself. So how can i tell someone who has art behind them in the degree that they studied art i see something wrong. Espically when i know my work is so so. No matter how hard i try i know my babies need improving. So please if i show pictures please let me know if something needs improving.

Part of it is not wanting to hurt people’s feelings especially if you don’t know if it will discourage them. And I do check back to see what other people have posted because that helps me see things I didn’t notice before. But I didn’t know that you could see how many people had viewed your thread either. As for me, I need the criticism, even if it leads to me stripping the baby and starting over because that is helping me learn.

Maybe put in your post when you show a Work in Progress whether you want all the gory details. At least if it is at the start of the doll, you can maybe save it. I’m noew to this so they all look better than mine! And I tend to keep working long after I should have taken a break and seen how the paint darkens when it dries throughly (air dry paints!). And I need to post more WIP pictures but I am so frustrated with this digital camera not being able to get as super close as my old broken one that I don’t take enough photos. So I’ve learned that people do care about what we think of their babies and don’t just want the easy pat answer!

Well, you know, I write cute and sweet real quick because I am usually on and off here, I never really have time to sit there and write a report up, I try to show my support to fellow reborners

— Begin quote from “kathrynpgadomski”

Well, you know, I write cute and sweet real quick because I am usually on and off here, I never really have time to sit there and write a report up, I try to show my support to fellow reborners

— End quote

That is appreciated as well

maybe if you ask for honest critiques be pm’d to you people might be more likley to give an honest opinion. There has been problems with people leaving honest critiques and then getting slammed for being mean or whatever. I would try that that and see if it helps. I would be more likely to respond honestly.

Becky, I didn’t mean to PM someone for help…in your request for critique mention that you are open to help or critique via a private message. Then those of us who think you may need help will feel encouraged to give that help and guidance.

As mentioned before when help and comments were offered on the forum we were told 1001 excuses why it was done the way it was and nothing changed because they knew better and LOVED what they were doing. fine…don’t ask for our opinion then. When you are shut down in a public way you really just quit trying to help. But that being said there are a number of us who would love to privately give honest opinions and help…but we need permission first. Yes Rhonda you are right…

Windyday2 is correct…we should be doing this because we love it…but we also need to continue to be forward thinking and protective of the babies that are offered for sale in the craft. Many on ebay should have never been photographed and offered for sale. That’s not being mean it’s being honest…and maybe that person LOVES what they are doing but they are not an artist by any stretch of the imagination. They can make babies as long as they have funding…that’s their choice but if they only way they can continue to make reborns is to sell reborns they need to improve!
As responsible artists we want everyone to improve to support their habit and continue to grow this art form. New techniques are continuing to sweep this craft because of encouragement, collaboration, and sharing.

I hope I didn’t offend anyone but when the opportunity and correct thread topic comes up and it a hot button topic for me I get a bit carried away.