Who creates the most refined sculpts?

I’m reborning my first doll and having the best time. My 11 yo daughter is reborning right along with me. I’m doing a BB Kate kit and she is doing a BB Natalie awake kit. I’m just on my fourth layer and about to bake. I guess I’m getting to the point where I’m having to really be extra careful with the creases. Of course, I’ve tried to do that since the first layer but with the colors I am noticing it more. I am buffing them out before each bake and so far so good. It has got me to wondering which kits are the most "refined? Where the creases between the toes are separated such. I don’t really know how to describe what I’m trying to ask since I’m such a newbie but I know that some of you will know what I’m talking about. My next kit will be Realborn Aspen Awake. I can tell that it’s alot more refined and the detailing is exquisite. I’m almost scared of it!

1 Like

You can’t go wrong with BB kits. I’ve never had this problem with any of the kits, realborn or sculpted. Bonnie Brown also has really nice kits.

2 Likes

I’m not really having a problem, I was just wondering if some are more detailed than others. Like I can really tell the Realborn is so much more detailed than the BB Reborn. I just wondered if some sculptors are that detailed or are there other producers of 3D printed kits? I keep reading that Bonnie Brown is a big fave, I’ll have to check those out.

I agree, Bonnie Brown has such beautiful detail in all of her sculpts. I’m starting on my second Twin A in this month alone!

2 Likes

Bonnie brown and Laura Lee Eagles have really amazing kits!

3 Likes

Natali Blick and Gudrun Legler have very tiny details. Olga Auer has populat kits as well.

2 Likes

Did you know Bonnie Brown sculpts with a pin?

2 Likes

Once you get the hang of things the creases won’t be scary. The more creases/ wrinkles the more realistic the kit. The less there are the more dolly like the kit is. The realborns def have more wrinkles than a regular BB kit. Other sculptors can go either way. It’s weird how Bonnie browns Levi looks like a real baby and the blaze, faith,kitten, Rowan, Lillian kits from BB are very dolly.

1 Like

That’s crazy! I’ll have to remember that when I get to sculpting class!

She does? Wow! No wonder they’ve got such fine details!

The realborns are naturally more “refined” as they are a scan of a real baby. The other reborns were sculpted from a medium with no scan. I hope that makes sense and that it helps somewhat. Also, Dollbabies.com, in her tutorials, recommends something like a Donna Rubert kit as it is not so detailed and is better for beginners. Hopefully, someone else will hop in and add more. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is interesting. I once saw a pic of a lady online who knitted with straight pins. That was interesting as well. Before I get a comment about the yarn not fitting the pins, there are all sizes of threads, etc. Even very fine sewing thread that can be crocheted, and I am guessing, knitted since she used something tiny. :slight_smile:

I just finished Aspen Asleep and as far as detail he is by far my favorite!

I’m excited to see your awake!

2 Likes

Wow he is beautiful. How long have you been reborning? What kind of paints do you use? This is one of the best I’ve seen!

1 Like

I have some mohair and silk yarn that’s as fine as sewing thread. It’s soft as a cloud. I haven’t used it yet. I need to do a practice run of the pattern with regular yarn. There’s no wiggle room for mistakes.

1 Like

I love the detailing on Olga Auer’s sculpts but there are a lot of really good ones that aren’t Realborns.

1 Like

For a couple of yrs now and a lot of kits lol. I use Genesis heat set paints. And thank you! I love this little fellor!

1 Like

I’m getting a lot of lessons with this Kate sculpt. It’s amazing how much fun this is! This morning I’ve been playing with blushing using lip blush and nail and eyelid purple all over the head. So much more alive. What other colors would be good to play with? Yellow or green?

image image