What on earth is "Russian Style Reborn"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Quality-Russian-Style-Lifelike-Baby-Silicone-Doll-Gift-Reborn-Baby-/221444691521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338f21d641

As soon as I read the “title” of this post, I knew it had to be a Hong Kong ebay listing…I’ve actually seen that posting & posed this question before, although, it may not have been on BB forum. I’m not sure, but I know that I’ve seen a lot of exceptionally beautiful dolls listed on ebay done by Russian artists. It doesn’t make much sense to focus only on the Russian artists though, because there are just as many beautiful dolls listed from all over the world as we have all seen - Australia, Africa, France, England, Canada, America and elsewhere.

If I had to guess, I’d probably chalk it up to poor communication and/or interpretive skills as well as simply trying to sell a product without understanding the market completely, and that these dolls are reborn all over the world. Possibly the thought is that if they select “key” words to catch attention, they get a wider audience possibly, I don’t know???

Did you happen to get a closeup look at the hair? YUK !!!

— Begin quote from “Melinda”

I feel like I’ve seen this same listing for months on end.

— End quote

i have been reporting these dolls for a while. Not sure if it was the same seller.

— Begin quote from “Ludmila”

— End quote

i have been reporting these dolls for a while. Not sure if it was the same seller.

— End quote

Why were you reporting them just wondering

— Begin quote from “KatiePerry”

— Begin quote from “Ludmila”

— End quote

— End quote

Why were you reporting them just wondering

— End quote

Because they are not silicone and they are not “reborn”, they are factory produced, albeit hand rooted, toys. They are listed as made of silicone and in the reborne section. if these people are allowed to sell in the reborn section, soon there will be more of them than real reborn, and buyers will have to scroll through pages and pages of chinese toys to find the odd reborn. This particular seller has 170 dolls listed.

— Begin quote from “kathywh911959”

I thought it was a mass produced doll. Aston-Drake has “hand” rooted hair but I wonder if it really is done by hand.

— End quote

Talking about the doll in my OP, I am sure that machine could not have done such a mess of it. Each tuft of hair is unevenly spaced too. I do not think that those Ashton Drake dolls are “hand” rooted.

However, sometime ago, long before I discovered reborn, I have seen a documentary about wig makers in Asian sweatshop. These women would knot one hair at the time in incredible speed & precision. They would poke some sort of needle/hook through and knot each hair into the netting of the scull cap. One of these ladies, paid something like $15 per week, would no doubt manage to microroot reborn to perfection at fraction of time that I take.

If they really wanted to, they could make really nice reborn dolls with which we could not compete in any way, but this listing shows they are only interested in quantity and not quality.

— Begin quote from “kathywh911959”

I remember the doll somewhat that they were making and I think it showed how they rotated the heads to get even amounts of vinyl. Do you remember that part?

— End quote

I have seen number of programs on that subject; I do not remember the one with barbies, but it is really all toys and things made in Asia that are made in similar conditions. The one I was thinking about was about all sorts of different sweat shops, but the one that stuck in my mind was the one about the wigmakers. They made wigs for people made with real human hair and some sold for thousands of dollars, yet the people making them, who were so skilled, could hardly afford to eat.