What makes a doll realistic to you?

Hello everyone.

Im working on 4 dolls at once and it got me thinking.
What makes a doll realistic to you? Is it the painting? The sculpt? When you see a doll what is it that makes you go “Wow!”

3 Likes

Sculpt, painting and hair for sure. Even unrealistic sculpts can look real if they’re painted right, at least most of the time. But a doll with bad painting won’t ever look truly real.

6 Likes

Imperfections- little scratches- uneven skin blotches- baby acne, veins- stuff you see on real babies- and hair- being able to brush through REAL hair that’s scented like a real baby;) my fav! I’ve seen painted hair that tricks my eye though- wish I could master that skill!

5 Likes

I agree that it all comes down to the painting…BUT even when a doll is painted, rooted/painted hair exceptionally well, it can be ruined in an instant with fake looking eyes; that includes both cheap quality eyes and unrealistic colors. The ones that kill me the most are the AA babies with big blues, green, etc eyes.

8 Likes

Painting. Specifically the translucent and blotchy looking skin. That’s always so amazing to me!

3 Likes

Mainly the painting then hair. If the doll has alot of undertones, mottling splotchy blushing I’m like :star_struck::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

First is sculpt then, painting. I prefer high color painting and unusual color eyes. Scratches, uneven skin tones, milk spots, freckles, moles, birth marks in unusual places, human hair preferably. Anything but a perfect baby. Though some perfect realistic babies that are done well look non realistic and will catch my eye, lol! :crazy_face::upside_down_face::grimacing:

3 Likes

Yes!!! I agree with that- must have realistic eyes!

4 Likes

The painting and sculpt both. Little imperfections make it look more real.
But a big thing is also photography. I’ve seen people selling second hand dolls with artist pics that look gorgeous and their own pics that really make them look like a doll. Unrealistic poses for the baby’s age, odd backgrounds, bad lighting, things like that.

5 Likes

Photos are huge. I see so many sleeping sculpts sitting up and holding toys. Lol.

7 Likes

Exactly what I mean! Little sleeping newborns or preemies sitting up on the couch holding a stuffed animal, or sitting in high chairs, even saw some sitting in a regular chair at a kitchen table. You could have the most realistic doll in the world but with posing like that it’s so obvious it’s a doll.

7 Likes

Good hair, nicely rooted, good hairline, maybe some facial hair, I don’t like a big hole where the swirl goes. Also good quality eyes, the right size, a little blue tint on sclera. Stark white sclera can make eyes look really fake :eyes:

2 Likes

For me, it starts with kit. It needs to be hyper realistic with nice creasing and proportionate limbs. Detailed, expresive hands and nice fingerbeds. The shape of the head and profile view are also important to me. Even very well painted kits will not fool you into thinking it’s a real infant if the kit is too dolly-like. That’s why it kills me that we only see the prototype and not the blank kits for handsculpted kits.

2 Likes

This is so true!

3 Likes

I am not a fan of imperfections like scratches a pimples. I know they add realism for photographs but if I was a collector I don’t think I would want a baby that had those things (its just my personal preference).

I like mottling when it is done well, sparse hair, pink tipped fingers and toes. A well blushed baby is key…I swear these budget babies are just someone working that blushing.

Well done lips, not too gloss, not to red or pink, I think babies with lipstick lips look too dolly, I like them a little more on the pale, barely wet side.

Subtle veins…not sure why but it always adds realism for me.

A good sculpt will paint itself but I like the challenge of a uggy. Not sure why but I like trying to paint it pretty.

6 Likes