What liquidtex do you use to seal mohair

I forgot the complete name, I need this name so I can run and buy some. I know the brand is Liquidtex… but is gel, medium, or varnish ?:hushed:

oh thank you so much! I am heading out now to restock on a few things from HL and I know I can find it there or Michaels. :slight_smile: Thanks

2 Likes

If you have a Hobby Lobby you can print 40% coupon.or I use my Iphone and just show it to the cashier. The Liquidtex is expensive without the coupon.

3 Likes

Wait what? Liquitex Matte Gel for sealing mohair? Really? That’s good to know since I need to glue/seal my Bhirny’s hair. Do I just slather it on straight from the jar or dilute with water first?
This is awesome news! Does it matter if it’s the _ultra _ matte?

2 Likes

I just gt back, yeah small jar $15.99 med size about 24.99 BUt I got it :wink:

1 Like

I’m still not clear on this. I’ve always poured either E6000 or tacky glue straight into the head and spread it with a sponge or spatula. How exactly do you use the Liquitex?

i also wonder why this particular expensive product? From my experience any old glue that spreads easily will do. I used to use E6000 but that is hard to spread and some hair gets pulled in as the glue is being spread. After rooting, even before gluing, it I brush the hair with toothbrush and nothing comes out. Then I spread some craft glue just to make sure.

1 Like

Yes, I was having so many hairs pull back out as I attempted to spread it around. It is expensive, but I think I will try and see how it goes, I do think you spread it with a paint brush, thin layer first, second layer if needed.

2 Likes

I use this matte gel too and love it! Dries super fast, spreads so easily and no smell or mess at all. You only need a little so my jar that I have will last a long time. I just take a fan brush and scoop a bit out of the jar and then spread it all over inside the head. It is white while wet but dries clear, so u can see if u missed any spots before it dries. After the first coat dries I usually put on a thin second one just to be sure. And sometimes if it is feeling a bit thick to spread around, I just add a tiny bit of water and stir the jar up before using.

4 Likes

Is this it?

Liquitex Matte Gel Medium can be added to paints to increase translucency and viscosity for added texture in your work.
This gel can also increase the volume of your paints giving you more to work with without compromising the quality of the paint.
You can use this gel with all kinds of mixed media including collages, giving them a more professional finish.

This medium can give your artworks a satin or matte finish,

changing the state of shinier media.
The gel can also thicken paint giving it more rigidity
and allowing you to create deeper brush strokes.
This gel can also increase the volume of your paint
which will give you more paint to create larger works of art.

1 Like

Thank you! I have used it to take down shine before but I never realized it had so many other uses. I never would have thought to use it for sealing mohair.

1 Like

Yes - that is it! It is flexible when dry. Water clean-up and easy to spread!

2 Likes

I tested it on a test arm to see if it could be used to reduce shine. It did not pass the pinch test. Looked white when squeezed.

I bought mine at Hobby Lobby with 40%off coupon. I got the Ultra matte gel.

1 Like

The Ultra Matte?

1 Like

3 Likes

This is the one I have @pia​:grinning:I really like it! :+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

I didn’t know about pinch test. Thanks! What do you recommend for reducing shine and final seal?

1 Like

I use GHSP and seal with Genesis Satin Varnish with a touch of Flesh 08 mixed into it. I don’t know. I have about air dry sealers, but just did a test on the Liquitex Matt Gel on a test limb and sadly it was white when squeezed. Did you check yours? After that fail, I tested Paper Glaze pounced like crazy with a cosmetic sponge after I thinned it about 50% with water and that left a nice finish. @mcnair6 was going to try it on shiny limbs! She might give an update of the results if she used it?

1 Like

I hope to work on Logan early this coming week… It’s been crazy busy this week and I will be babysitting my 15 month old grandson from Wednesday through Saturday 24/7 so I’m not sure how much I will be able to do with Levi around. :smiley:

2 Likes