Using powders

I need more supplies like I need more supplies (I just don’t) but I have been curious about powders. Anyone use them and love them, hate them? I wouldn’t mind softening feet and hands a little…

Are they expensive? What is the controversy? Can you use them over GHSP?

If you know, let me know.

Have a super great evening…

3 Likes

I have used them trying Coastal Scents eye shadows, Baby FX Powders, and PanPastels.
Coastal scents look great on the baby but you can not paint over them with Genesis without risking the Genesis not heat setting properly. I had issues with this when I tried them. I also know some had issues even with air drys with paint cracking with the Coastal Scents while others did not.

After I switched to air dry Baby FX I used their powders. I like them pretty well for touchups at the end. I am now using PanPastels which I love but they are VERY concentrated and do take some time to get used to how to use them.

4 Likes

Thank you

Following as I just ordered the C.S . Powders

Thank you so much! Lots of great info.

1 Like

@Sony72 and @anjsmiles. What are your favorite panpastel colors? Also how did you mix them to make your own colors?

1 Like

Oh yay! I think I just grabbed those colors out of the pants box. I will need to order the colorless blender and white though.

1 Like

I bought lots of colors but so far for Caucasian babies I mostly use

First and foremost you NEED blending powder

Magenta Extra Dark mixed with blending powder for creases (what I used on Saskia) I like a purple tinted crease.

Yellow Ochre for yellow tones on nose

Violet Extra dark for eyelid creases and separation of fingers and toes

Permanent Red shade - for blushing, lips and other places where you might want a true red. You can also use the Permanent Red Shade as an alternate shade for creases or you can use Permanent Red Ex. Dark as an alternate creases shade but it has to be cut a good bit to decrease the intensity. I used the Permanent Red Shade on Knox.

Ultramarine Blue Shade is a true primary blue. You can use it for blue undertones or mixing with red for purples but you also might prefer one of the other blue shades.

I got Permanent Green for thin skin coloring but it is a bit too green and has to be cut with lots of blending powder and/or some white. April Yap has found one of the lighter green shades works better for thin skin right out of the container but you will have to ask her which one that is.

I have some colors I plan to use on Ethnics but have not gotten that far yet.
Burnt Sienna Shade is one of them and April I think has used it successfully.

2 Likes

So far I’ve used babyfx powders and panpastels.

The good thing about babyfx is that it comes with the right colors. The downside is that I feel like I’m working too hard to get the effect i want.

With panpastels I had the brilliant idea of ordering the portrait set. Yeah, don’t do that. Lol It contains very little that I can actually use. It’s best to use a list from someone who knows what they are doing (see @anjsmiles post) and order individually, making sure you add in the blending powder, otherwise you won’t be able to use anything but the shades.

All and all, I have to say that I like panpastels the best, it’s just been a bit of a headache working out how to use them because they are so heavily pigmented.

1 Like

@dollypardon @anjsmiles @Sony72 Where is the best place to order from? I don’t have the blending powder so I will need to pick that up. Do you mix in a separate dish or do you mix in like the lid? How do you apply it? With like a makeup brush maybe?

1 Like

I would order from dickblick. They pack very carefully, so the ones that came from there were fine. Amazon, however, did not… what came from there was broken. @Kate

I mix on a plate or sometimes in the lid. I apply with brushes, blend with their tools, sometimes apply and blend with their tools… depends.

2 Likes

Hahhahahahahhayahaygahahayhahahahahahahha

2 Likes

I am dying laughing that ■■■■ got bleeped out!!!

3 Likes

My grandpas name was ■■■■!

1 Like

I know he was awesome!!! It was actually ■■■■! Not Richard. He was a fire chief and had a mermaid on his arm with no top on and he could make her dance. Lolol he was awesome. He was my grandmas 2nd husband. No not my actual grandpa. We called him grandpa ■■■■! I miss that guy. He died of cancer when I was a kiddo. I still remember that mermaid. And how mad it made my mom when he made it dance. I supposed that’s not appropriate for kids. The things we remember! Haha

3 Likes

I could hang out with you all day @Sony72 !!! You are so funny and wise!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

3 Likes

That is the very definition of a true friendship right there!

4 Likes

Dying over here… :joy:

2 Likes

Ya’ll are crazy!
I order from DICKBLICK.com, LOL
I mix my powders with the blender in the lid of the color I am using. I brush it on with small cosmetic brushes and then blend it with the Sofft sponges. I have found that if I get a color too dark it takes soap and water to get it back off and you do run the chance of removing paint as well with soap. So be careful. The more you rub at the powders the more it works into the vinyl otherwise so it is hard to remove them with just water but they are still not permanent until sealed. I seal the powders either by using a mist of my mix of spray sealer or by adding a little Sure Bond to my next flesh layer if I am going to paint some more. To make your own spray setting mist you can use either Sure Bond mixed with a little distilled water or Decoart Ultra Matte Varnish mixed with some Golden Glazing Liquid in satin and distilled water. This is only to quick set the powders so you can keep working. You will still need to final seal them at the end using your regular sealing method. You can also seal with Genesis heat set varnishes over the spray mist sealer if you wait 24 hours. I have done so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5LGmF8Ayqw

3 Likes