Tips for protecting yourself as a seller?

I listed a few of my dolls for sale. I am new to this and I’ve seen posts about scammers and PayPal siding with the buyer usually.

Are there any tips to protect myself? Ive read to take a video of the boxing, paying with goods and services and asking for signature for the package. I’m nervous after seeing people get taken advantage of. I mean all the work and love you put into a doll for someone to steal it and have the nerve to try to get their money back too? Ugh.

Is there a searchable list of known scammers somewhere?

1 Like

This may seem like an obvious thing to mention, but be sure to state that returns aren’t accepted (if that’s your policy), and be as honest as possible in your listing - for example, if the vinyl you were working with had a small factory spot on it and you don’t think it’s noticeable, I still think it’s something you should mention. That way no one can say the listing was misleading in any way. And if you do run into an issue, get to PayPal before they do. Bring attention to any activity that seems like it could be a scam, that way if the other person decides to contact them they’ll already have a record of what you suspect.

2 Likes

FaceBook has several pages on Reborn Doll Scammers.

Someone opened a case against me recently. I had eBay and PayPal protection, so I didn’t have to do anything. I’ve never had any issue with them.

I don’t know if this helps, but:

• I always include the doll’s description/condition in the ‘notes’ section of an invoice.
    I always mention: If you agree to the terms and aurhorize this transaction, please pay the invoice’s due amount. ONLY if you are the rightful owner of this account: (include their pp address)
    It may hold not real weight, but it doesn’t help to have a little more evidence on your side to rely on in case anything goes wrong.

• I mention it being a custom (if applicable, but I know of some sellers who add this regardless. ‘Hand painted’ etc. I believe they don’t cover custom orders, but I may be wrong)

• ALWAYS update the PayPal transaction with the tracking number

• Before and after you invoice them, e-mail their PayPal address (e-mail) with your PayPal address (e-mail) to have proof that they agreed to your terms and authorized the transaction

• Signature confirmation is your best friend. It’s proof that they agreed to the purchase (in case of a chargeback)

Again, I may be wrong, but it’s helped so far!

3 Likes