Those who sell

Ive always felt im not good enough to sell beyond the 500$ range. Although ive had a doll purchased and used in a tv show as a stand in for someone on the show. Even that didnt make me feel good enough to ask for more…

But tbh i never think im good enough at anything. I write science fiction romance and people who have read excerpts love it. But i stil dont think im good enough so i stop sharing.

Its an issue ive always had.

1 Like

Same here. It can come from parents that didn’t encourage us when we were growing. My dad was always critical.

2 Likes

My mother is…well. i was never good enough at anything. And if i was good at something or enjoyed something she automatically disliked it.

Thats why i haven’t spoken to her in over 5 years.

I have to literally teach myself that its okay to be happy. Odd as thar sounds.

5 Likes

Your mother was wrong.

5 Likes

Let us all assure you that you ARE good at making reborn dolls and you ARE good at making bears! You should continue on as others have said, put them up for sale and see where it goes. Don’t be afraid to ask for what their worth should be and don’t let scammers get you down. In the end they will win if you let them deter you. The most important thing is to enjoy what you are doing and make a little money at it on the side.

8 Likes

This is something I’ve struggled with as well! I swear every time I go to list a dol, I start picking it apart and think I need to discount it. I have a good friend who tells me “don’t you dare discount that baby!” Sometimes it’s really hard to know your own worth and even harder to truly believe it! Your reborns are worth more than $500! Maybe you need a price buddy, before you list a doll send them a photo and listen to them when they tell you not to list for less! I’ve usually seen the ones with the lowest self confidence seem to be better artists, I think it drives us to keep improving! The first time I sold a reborn for $800 I was shocked, I was convinced they would do a charge back or send me a message telling me the doll was awful. But that didn’t happen, they actually bought another from me. The more you sell at a higher price, the more you will start to see that customers value your work and it is worth more!

5 Likes

Beautiful babies! I think you will do very well if you decide to get back into it… x

1 Like

Thanks ladies.

Im in a support group to help me deal with the issues created by my upbringjng. So hopefully in time i wont feel so…inadequate? Not sure of the word. Lol.

But anyway. Ill be getting back into dolls asap. I need a new oven since my off brand oven was over heating laat time i made them. Looking for a second hand or new. New wave. Im pretty sure thats what everyone still uses. Right?

I still have a ton of genesis. All i need is thinner. Gambisol? Or something else? I used to use straight paint thinner. But that stuff smells bad.

Everything else i already have.

Ou wait. I have some thinner i got when i was gifted some $

So now. Just a new oven

3 Likes

I got 2 Nuwave ovens off of Facebook Market place. First a used one then found a new one in box that someone just didn’t want. Got great deals on both of them.

2 Likes

Im wondering if i should test out air dry while i hunt down a new oven.

Those who use air dry. What are the must haves for it?

Thx.

If you do test out air dry in the meantime, please remember that there’s a learning curve to it. Don’t let it discourage you like I let it do to me.

You make beautiful dolls. Remember that.

Remember there’s a learning curve to heat set as well.

1 Like

Maybe put the blank kits up for sale first. If they are hard to get sculpts you’ll probably make a decent profit. Then your stock of kits won’t be so large & overwhelming. You won’t feel pressured trying to get them done for immediate funds. You’ll be able to take your time to get back in the groove, put more effort into them and price them in that higher profit tier.

2 Likes