Tell me about your oven

A jillion years ago, I used to use Genesis paints, and I cooked my baby parts in my oven. Yes, my actual oven. (Please don’t judge.)

I would air my oven out between babies and obviously not cook during this process. Oh my God, I can’t believe I’m admitting this.

Then I switched to air dry paints. The effect wasn’t bad, but I have just never really liked the outcome as much as I did with Genesis.

I’m back to reborning again after a couple of years’ hiatus. And I see some reborners use convection ovens? Am I understanding that correctly?

Can anyone tell me what oven they use? I might buy one and use it either indoors with the windows open, or outside. Thanks much!

4 Likes

I use a NuWave oven and I set it up on my back screened porch. In my very early days when we did not know better I heated some babies in my kitchen oven as well. As soon as I learned of the dangers of this I stopped and purchased a table top convection oven to use on the porch. I used it for many years. Later I learned how a NuWave oven heats more evenly and I got one. I have 2 of them now and I love them!

3 Likes

Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing this. There is no shame here - just concern for your well-being.

I have been using a NuWave oven since I started. Well, actually, I started with a microwave oven, but that melted the practice face I got :rofl: I highly recommend investing in a NuWave oven and metal extender ring. I have two NuWaves and love them - they are accurate in temperature and don’t take up a lot of space when I’m storing them (aka not baking any pieces). I also highly recommend baking them outside. On the back porch or under an eve works well.

If you’re going to bake inside, open all the windows and close the door to the room you’re baking in. Consider running a fan as well. Wait at least 30 minutes before re-entering the room. The vinyl emits toxic fumes, so you want to be sure the smell is completely gone before re-entering.

I bought both of my NuWaves used, but the metal extender rings were new. The plastic ones tend to crack, hence the emphasis on metal in this response. The extension ring puts the heat further from the vinyl to decrease the potential for burning/melting.

Hope this helps!

Edit - the only issue I have had with the Nuwaves is fitting larger sculpts. I generally don’t paint the larger dolls, but if I am working on a toddler (Cuddles, Cookie, etc.) I have to bake one or two limbs at a time (I’m impatient, can you tell? :joy: )

3 Likes

Definitely a NuWave.

2 Likes

I use NuWave without any precautions, I sit next to it and work on something else, so don’t judge me either :wink:

2 Likes

I’m still using a turkey roaster and have for 10 years. :joy: Works just fine.

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

Im intrigued! What kind of turkey roaster?

1 Like

Hamilton Beach, girl! Haha It came from Kohls.

1 Like

I have an e-wave which I love! I have a nuwave also but don’t use it. I really like having a deep bowl with a flat lid, it makes arranging parts a lot easier. My nuwave has a flate bottom with a dome lid, so I can’t lean parts against the bowl sides, balance them without worrying about knocking them over when putting the lid on, etc…

1 Like