Stringy paints

I have a stash of GHSP so thought I was good to go for awhile. Turns out the flesh 08 I just opened is stringy. Does that mean it is from the bad batch of new formula? Is there any way of making it work?

1 Like

That how a couple of my paints are but in yellow, baby flesh, and mint

The new formulas are stringy. You can use the Shelly Marie Heat set agent mentioned above or the new Xodus thinning oil. I like using the oil better now because it does not add any sheen at all to the paint. It also fixes the
tendency of the new paints to go shiny in higher heat and it revives dried out jars of paint. I keep the biggest bottle of it on hand now. Love it!
It also works with the other new brands of heat set paints too.

3 Likes

I dislike it more than I can say!
To me it acts like liquid matte varnish, the paint mix with it is not transparent, and if you will not bake same day, it will get white ‘frost’ layer.
Lucky for me I didn’t buy a big bottle and decided to try small set first.

1 Like

Wow, I have not had this experience at all. I use it a lot an none of that. Are you talking about the Thinning medium or the thinning oil? I am talking about the pure oil. I also always bake my paints the same day, just leaving them long enough to flash off.

3 Likes

I love the Xodus thinning oil as well. I have had no probs using it. Highly recommend.

2 Likes

Wow, I’m liking the idea of her new heat set agent. I’d love to make good acrylics into heat set. I am not the best color mixer with Genesis. Have always gotten too much pink, not enough reds, sometimes too much of an orange cast despite color correction, and I think acrylic paints have such a nice assortment of pre-mixed reds and blues. I’d love to try them as heat set.

1 Like

There is a learning curve mixing this with air dry paints but it does work. The main thing to know is that once you pounce down some paint not to pounce back over it again or it will mess up the finish. While the heat set agent imparts the ability to make the paints cure faster in heat, it does not take away the factor that the paints will start to skin over after applied because they are air dry. So you do not have all the extra working time of Genesis type paints. Just the ability to heat. I hope that makes sense.

3 Likes

I am talking about pure oil.

I am perplexed. I have not had that issue though.

2 Likes