So frustrated!

She looks like she doesn’t have any hair or eyelashes or eyebrows, maybe give her some abs if you don’t want to root…maybe lower her price to around $130…good luck on your sale. Also, where are you listing her?

She is painted very nicely but I agree she needs lashes and brows.

1 Like

I’ve seen you on Instagram trying to find her a home for a while now… Here’s my honest opinion as to why no ones picked her up yet- please take this as constructive criticism. I’m not trying to be hateful- She looks extremely pale. Honestly, almost blank kit like to me. There’s just an over all lack of detail as well. :thinking: No creasing, veining that I can see etc. I also notice the caking on the eyes, and on the lips. A lot of buyers don’t like scratches, beauty marks etc. The one you’ve placed is very prominent, especially on the pale complexion. It comes down to personal preference, some people love those details. Most I find do not. People have a tendency to want a picture “perfect” baby. As artists we know there’s no such thing! :joy:

7 Likes

She doesn’t appear to have much paint on her.
I’m not criticizing your work I’m just being honest, this is totally normal as you have just begun to get into doll making.
I sold my beginning dolls for 50-125! So I understand
Just keep practicing! And you might have to sell the doll to just get more supplies for yourself. That’s what I did in the beginning with all of my babies. Just see what I could get for them, so that I could use that money to reinvest in another kit or two and then work on my skills.
I have been reborning for over 8 years now and I’m having trouble getting 250 for these babies right now :frowning: and I feel like he is worth it! But it’s tough sometimes! And I’m not perfect but remember the market can be tough! So maybe lower your price to be able to reinvest or take the doll apart and work on her more and practice more techniques.
I hope nothing i said has upset you I just want you to know I started out at the beginning too and had to sell dolls for whatever I could get to be able to pay for more.
Hugs

12 Likes

Most beginner artists are happy just to get their material costs back, so they can have money to buy more kits (my first few were so bad, I gave them away lol). Then you get more practice and will get better and better as you go, then you raise your prices and probably get what you are asking.

Get a cheap test part from bb to practice brows and rooting eyelashes… Even if it’s a leg, doesn’t matter. Buyers will expect this and more. And hey, if you try on a baby and it goes wrong, you can strip it off. No harm done. If you use genesis, even better- wipe it off.

Wishing you all the best!

Here’s my last baby that sold. This one went for $295.

10 Likes

Mine aren’t selling around that price either…

If I had your baby I would add over 10 or more layers before I was happy.

If you just want a baby maybe you should buy one completed or ask if you can pay some one to paint your kit.

Have you seen other reborns before? I think that helps sometimes. To see what others look like.

This may also help you… I just posted it on someone else’s post also

5 Likes

@Babylove77, what I see of your baby you have done a very nice job on her painting, just not quite enough of it. I understand pale painting as I do it myself, but you really have to practice on the details you are uncomfortable with. Without eyebrows and lashes your chance of selling is a lot slimmer. Some of these details are difficult for all of us but you must try. I love your colors and her lips are really pretty. You can purchase a practice part and work on your details and you will get it before you know it!! Good luck!!

2 Likes

I’ve been painting for a couple years now. I tend to make my make to sell babies my skin tone, and have never had issues selling before this baby.

@jlesser I can’t buy a baby until this one sells, because funds are a major factor.

I don’t believe that was the best photo to show, as it was taken with horrible lighting and from a wierd angle, she looks more pale there than she is in real life.

I’ve had quite a few people telling me that size is the reason they don’t want this baby, which I can under stand. A lot of people don’t “bond” with preemies.

She is pretty but she just looks unfinished to me. Good luck though.

2 Likes

I can understand that you went into this expecting to make a profit. Unfortunately for all of us, there is too much competition from China and from each other. Just too many dolls and not enough collectors. I am trying to get back into reborning (starting over) but I know how much people expect from a doll. Unless it is a playdoll (selling for under $50-$75), you have to add eyelashes, creases and veins. I know those needles are scary but rooting closed eyes is easier than you think. Even with everything like multiple layers, hair, eyes, eyelashes, and a decent layette, I was never able to get over $150. Not that my dolls are so great but just that it isn’t possible to get to the over $200 mark until you have a lot of dolls under your belt with a lot of feedback. I hate to confirm what others have said, wish the news was better for all of us but most of us are going to be just breaking even by the time you count the kit, body, stuffing, paints, clothes, wrapping supplies and boxes. Not to mention little things like gas to shop and mail, insurance, puppy pads, etc. Surf around and learn to price by comparing dolls. Reborn because you love it and count the first dolls as classwork!

Just read what you just posted about preemies. I don’t like them because it is hard to get cute clothes for them and they look more doll-like unless you really work on them. I just have had a really hard time selling them.

3 Likes

On my first reborns I actually lost money. Reborning isn’t something you should do to get a big profit.
Rooting lashes on closed eyes is very easy. I’m horrible at rooting, but lashes I can do. It makes a big difference in the realism of the doll.

3 Likes

I have never heard that preemies are hard to bond with. I’ve sold quite a few of them over the past few months, and actually this is probably my most common request. I just don’t paint many of them because newborn size is what’s easier to paint and dress.

Sales are slow right now for everyone. Hopefully things pick up soon.

3 Likes

I’m confused as to why you all assume this is my first doll?! I’ve painted well over 75 reborns. I have been painting for a few years. And she does have dressing, veins, tipped and glossed nails, etc. Perhaps it’s my lack of photography skills or the low quality camera on my phone not picking up these details. I’ve never had issues selling babies until now.

I don’t do eyebrowsbecause I’m not comfortable doing them. Many real infants are born without them. I didn’t have eyebrows until I was almost a year old, and I only do lashes when I buyer requests. I’ve had quite a few past customers tell me they did not want eyelashes on their doll.

We assumed that because most artists paint eyebrows and root lashes. Sorry for assuming that you were anything other than an experienced artist with a strong track record of sales.

Perhaps the problem is your camera then. Buyers are only going to buy based on what they see, and experienced buyers want details.

5 Likes

To pull off realism you need to add the different color undertones. I have been into reborns for about 4 yrs but have only been actively painting them for about a year or 2. I am far from a great artist but i have come up with my own techniques to allow for good undertones and skin tone with minimal paint. Please dont take offense to what these ladies are telling you… They are providing you help and suggestions on how to get your baby to sell. I have only sold 5 babies and completed maybe a total of 20. Here is one im working on now

edited to add that i also use my cell phone to take pictures…i also noticed that there isnt much shading in the ears

5 Likes

I’ll be approaching almost 2yrs and have yet to list, sell, or even attempt to sell mine. I’ve done a few for gifts. For me there’s just too many that are ordinary or poorly done. At times I feel that some sellers are trying to make fools out of buyers when comparing their cost to quality. When i do sell, I want mine to stand out from day one. There are still some areas that I’m not comfortable with and maybe never will be. So in that aspect I’ll have to find a hack for that area or do something extra special to divert attention from my weak spots. There are just too many mediocre-even poor reborns out there. That is just me. I know I sound ridiculous and maybe unrealistic but that’s what I expect from myself. I would take all the helpful advice that you received from the other ladies on here and build upon that. They do have your best interest at heart. Post some better pics if the details are not showing. Because If we can’t see them then buyers can’t see them and there lies the problem. If you don’t feel comfortable with lashes and eyebrows etc. Maybe you can market your dolls as therapy or a childs doll and lower your price. This may help with cash flow. In the meantime you can practice your weak areas. Good luck.

5 Likes

You didn’t specifically ask for advice but implied with your post that you wanted it. Everyone who has commented has been polite and tried to help you. Don’t be offended. As an experienced artist, you know some babies take longer to sell. (Although I need reminding sometimes). And the buyers looking for what you have to offer in the price range you offer are out there. They just haven’t seen this baby yet.

5 Likes

I’d trade. Pm me :grinning:

I agree, everyone has been nice in offering input. That said, what I’m sharing is also written with a tone of kindness and helpfulness. It can be hard to hear what we may not want to when we are artists.

It can take years to get to a confidence level that can bring in a decent profit from a doll. It varies per person.

It took me a year before I sold one for $200. I took every reborn class online that I could that would teach me how to do this art the best that I could with my abilities. I studied the work of amazing artists to see how they did details and colors. I practiced on cheap Berenguer parts I found on eBay, mixing colors, shading, details. It became a full time thing for me when I wasn’t busy with other things.

Regarding the recent photo you put up, the ears appear to have little or no shading. These are the kind of details we all need to learn if we want realism in our dolls. If you are not comfortable with some details like brows, you need to practice them on a test head, over and over, until you gain confidence. Confidence will also give you more courage as an artist. A doll in most cases needs to look complete in order to sell for $200 or more.

Everyone is trying to help you. Most of us have been there. Most of us have taken constructive criticism. It’s my belief that an artist cannot grow without it when it is needed.

6 Likes

Ooooo how awesome! I love that guide pic. So helpful :slight_smile:

4 Likes