Single barb rooting help

Hi ladies!
I just purchased some 42g single barb needles. and I’m having a hard time getting into a rhythm with rooting. I can get some hairs in, but then I suddenly can’t and I get frustrated! So ladies who use the single barb needles. Can you give me some tips on how to continuously get hair in? I love how it looks…but it’s going to take me months to root one head at this rate.

Help!

2 Likes

You have to make sure your single barb edge is facing the vinyl. Try turning it slightly different directions if you aren’t catching a hair. Remember that position when you do. I mark the top of the needle with a maker when I find my good edge.( not the part that goes into the vinyl, that will stain it) Also, slightly wet the vinyl with your finger. That helps also.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh I bought some and I can’t even work with those. Too much for me! Maybe for the hairline. Eek!

1 Like

They sure are frustrating. But I’m hoping I can get them to work…somehow! The hair looks amazing when I can actually get it in the head. LOL!

2 Likes

I kept trying, and I just can’t get them to work. I poke the hair in, and it actually goes in once out of every 5 pokes. I don’t want to waste hours trying to get this to work and it just not.
I’m about to toss these in the trash.

1 Like

:slight_smile: I’m not ready to give up yet, but if I decide to sell them I will keep you in mind. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you use a holder or just the needle? I use a 43 single barb and you must make sure the barb is on the underside of the needle closest to the vinyl, which makes the little "L’ tail on the needle usually pointing sideways towards the left. Understand? When the little barb is on the underside there is usually a “flat” side of the needle facing up. In otherwords when you look down at the needle you should see a “flat” side facing up at you. You can always take you fingernail and feel the barb, now make sure it is underneath closest to the vinyl. Put your hair going straight across, insert needle with barb underneath and you should catch a hair every time. I just put a rubber band around my needle just above where it widens. Good Luck, once you get it, you’ll be on your way!!

1 Like

Thanks @lynn …I’m also one of the newbies to hair and have only messed around with it one time. I have 42 single barbs too and now with your excellent description, I’m going to get them out and try again! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I coat my needles in rubber and use them as full needles. The way you described makes sense! One question tho. Do I root from the end, or do I root with the hair sideways from the middle of the strand?

I’m glad to help, I hope it helps you!! Don’t forget ROOTING takes lots of practice. You will see a great improvement with each baby you root. Good Luck!!

1 Like

Root from the end.

1 Like