Silicone fix

A customer of mine has a silicone with a rip in it. She wants to get it fixed if possible. Does anyone know who may be able to take a look at the damage and see if its fixable? She is looking for someone in canada to fix it.

2 Likes

@Leabelle @quiltsabunch @andik @MilosMeadows @Mommarobin

are the canadian artists that I can think of off the top of my head. I know for certain that some don’t do silicone, but they may know of more Canadian artists that I am not thinking of at the moment.

My first suggestion was going to be @anjsmiles until I saw that she was looking for somebody in Canada.

Would she be able to send you a picture of the tear that you can post here?

3 Likes

I have limited experience with silicone but could possibly help depending on how bad it is. Pics would definitely help

2 Likes

Just asked for pictures. I will post some as soon as she gets back to me. Thanks!

2 Likes

I do silicone but I am not super experienced. I personally know a good sculptor/artist here near my town that I can ask for help if needed.

1 Like

Sorry I’m one that doesn’t do silicone.

1 Like

I do not know who in that area could help her unless it would be Kris C. but I am not sure she takes on repairs. She is so busy with other things. She can get some SIlPoxy and easily repair a rip herself but if she is wanting a repair with color match then sending it to an artist would be her best option. I have done my own repairs on sculpts that had defects and I used Psycho Paints and the Silc Pigments to color match and repair the silicone. Then painted over it as usual. Some people repair with Ecoflex 20 or 30 so that it has more elasticity like the original pour if it is a very soft silicone but I have had good success just using the Psycho Paints. Maybe some of you all in her area could try that?

1 Like

Susan Gibbs in Vancouver is one who actively pouring silicone and has the silicone on hand , but I am not sure if she dose repairs for others .

In order to fix silicone you have to mix the silicone which the smaller amount to buy for supplier is around $100 and if you aren’t using all up in a week or so the silicone goes bad.
So best is to contact someone who pours and can use a bit to fix the doll . Cheaper and more convenient.

1 Like

Susan is great but I know she just moved and yea I dunno if she does repairs either.

1 Like

Okay so i got the photos. The way she described it sounded like a small rip. I dont think this is fixable, is it? And i dont know much about silicone but is this even a real one?

I would think that doll is probably a china knockoff from aliexpress or somewhere similar. It will likely cost much more to repair than the entire doll originally was.

There is also so much damage to that doll. It looks like a cat got ahold of it. Not at all trying to be unkind, but if someone were able to fix it- how long would it be until it needed another repair?

3 Likes

Looks like a China knock off to me as well. Not to be ugly , but no reputable artist is going to want to touch that due to that fact. There is also the question of what kind of silicone it is made of. I would say from the photos she needs to give it a good bath to start as it looks dirty. Then get the Silpoxy silicone adhesive and repair the splits the best she can according to the instructions. It will work on both platinum and tin silicone. It is her best option.

6 Likes

Thats what i thought too. I dont think anyone will want to work on it even if she was willing to pay the amount needed, due to being a fake.

2 Likes

I knew you would know how to fix it. You’re awesome.

1 Like

You make me blush!

That’s not a small rip, this doll is falling apart. @anjsmiles has the best solution short term but it will tear in other places eventually.

1 Like

I agree! I also thought it looked like it had been ripped up by a cat. I went back and looked at the blow ups of the photos again and the head and face of that doll has little punctures/tears/cuts all over it! The other thought that comes to mind where all those little missing spots are is possibly mice. People do not always realize this but mice love silicone and will eat it. Mice and ants are 2 things you must guard against with silicone. Both will destroy it.

1 Like

I would love to own a silicone one day, but the amount of care with which they need to be stored and handled is intimidating.

This is the reason I bought a very tiny bundle baby that has a silicone face. I’ve never even seen silicone in person so wasn’t sure if I’d like it. But she is super cute! Not sure if I’d ever buy a large one but who knows?

2 Likes

She’s super cute!

1 Like