Shyann is ready for her first photo shoot

Shyann v1 is ready for her first professional portrait session. :heart_eyes:

Since she is my test baby my plan is to strip her down and start over. There are so many things I’m not happy with at all. Her face creases got a little chalky and her lips are super chalky and I don’t like the color at all. Her limbs are super blotchy and there are slot of dark spots and runny spots where my skin wash dripped. No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get skin wash to stick to her little fingers, toes and the insides of her arms and legs. I’m thinking I was touching those spots more and also thinking that the insides of my limbs are paler etc. I was trying to keep them cleaner. I over did some of the purpleness and creases.

I’m going to use her for some bonnet photos so I can sell them on Etsy. Then have another go. The exciting news is my husband is so impressed he said I could buy a new kit each time I finish one lol

I’ll definitely post pro photos soon

24 Likes

She looks really good for a first attempt though. I can tell you are going to be good at this :wink: I love Shyann-she has such a pretty face.

1 Like

She looks fantastic! I personally wouldn’t strip her not only because she is so beautiful, but it is fun to look back later and see how much improvement you will make over time. I gifted mine to my mother and father-in-law I get to see her all the time and they just love showing her off to the grandkids when they come to visit :grin:

3 Likes

True, I’ve thought of that but idk I don’t want to keep buying kits to practice on Lol

Oy

2 Likes

Thank you for you kind words I learned a lot!

I guess I’ll get stared on June lol

1 Like

She is so pretty for your first one. I would keep her or give her to a family member, my oldest daughter has my first one.

1 Like

I think she’s adorable, you did a great job for a first attempt…you should see mine…you should see my 10th attempt LOL.

I had a lot of problems with babies looking chalky when I first started out so I stopped using flesh colour…I only use reds, blues, and yellows. My favourite colours are teal, purple, yellow ochre, and alizarine crimson red.

3 Likes

First one is a keeper - this is reborn rule! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Please don’t get upset with my comment, but I think if you will take time you would be much happier with your results. First doll in 2 days sounds too rushed to me. Not even all experienced reborn artists can do it in such short period of time. :hugs:

And about paint is not sticking, silly question, but I had to ask: did you wash your kit? Did you clean it with rubbing alcohol before you started to paint?

2 Likes

Your comment does nothing but help me learn, that is what I’m here to do. :heart_eyes:

I did wash it with dish soap. No rubbing alcohol though… is that a thing? Lol and I thought I did my research :flushed:

I bought some liquitex matt additive but I’m afraid to use it. It seems everything I read has a different way of doing things which why I want to move on and try something else… to learn more. I think I love the learning process but not the waiting process :heart_eyes:

I’m so sad my kids think shyann is gross/weird lol no one wants to hold her :tired_face:.
My husband is excited for me though.

I’m thinking I’ll keep shyann as is. Maybe I’ll buy some test parts and practice.

4 Likes

I’ll try that because I think there is some truth to the flesh color being the chalky perpetrator but how do I get the depth without layering “skin” over veins and mottling etc :flushed:

Lol I feel a bit like Frankenstein keeping my monster lol, i know she’s not a monster but I have so much to learn and I’m itching to get started. But I will take everyone’s advice and let her be. It will be fun to look back in her as I grow and be able to diagnose where I went awry

2 Likes

Biracial Shyann was my second or third!

4 Likes

I never do flesh layers. You get depth by layering lots of different colors over your mottling and veins. I do colored washes, in just about every color but I never use flesh.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you watch this youtube tutorials with Annette from Miracle Babies Nursery - here she did real time air dry paint classes.

4 Likes

Ooooh that skin!!! How do I do that? Maybe it would be easier to learn to do AA tones? Less visible mottling etc?
How did you get a magnet to work in her mouth?

3 Likes

My brain is totally rejecting this concept lol

Thank you! I’ll start watching now

1 Like

AA babies are much, much, much harder to do. It’s a totally different upper level :slight_smile:
But you can start with biracial if you wish.