Show me your babys painted with waterborne air dry paints

Id like to see your babys painted with this paint as its my choice of medium.

My first baby was painted with a combination of waterborne paints and a couple other acrylic paints. I didnt like the slow dri so i used golden mediums, retarders, and americana soft touch varnish with cornstarch. Hair was done with prisma pencils

2 Likes

Oh and i did not use flesh tones. I dont like the chalky look. His skin tone was made using alternating blue, red, and yellow mottling only. About 2 layers of each color built up. Figured id add that tidbit

Oh this is really good! What do you use now?

1 Like

I switched to winton oil paints. For me airdry was so difficult to figure out. That baby was stripped 3 times and started over lol and it took me 4 months to paint lol. Lots of tears were shed. I almost gave up reborning. Then i saw @Emma (eborns) videos on winton oils and went for it. For me heat set is way easier. And were i live i couldnt combat the lint and dust. If you zoom in on that baby its covered in dust and lint stuck into the paint. I gifted him of course. I didnt wanna sell babies with lint all over them and i spent hours picking lint off him and it didnt even help. With heat set it just wipes right off after baking :raised_hands:

1 Like

Okay cool. How do you use winton oil paints? Do you heatset them? Or let them dry naturally? And for how long?

Traditionally and technically they are an air dry product. However, they can be heat set to cure faster. Air drying them takes weeks if not months. Its what reborn artists used to use back in the day before genesis came along. I use them with xodus thinning oil and gamsol and heat set them exaclty like most heat set paints. 265 for 7 to 11 mins. I prefer heat set. I know many artists prefer airdry. Air dry mixing is so precise and tricky to me. If the ratios arent right then it doesnt go on correctly, with heat set, the ratios being off only mean pigment darkness imo which is way easier to fix. When i messed up with airdry i had to strip all the layers i did before. With heat set it just wipes right off for the most part without disturbing the layers before it. As a new artist, heat set is easier for me to learn with.