Should I take the less is more approach with my reborn painting?

I think I’m not watering down my paint enough and it’s one of the reasons as to why my reborns are not coming out the way I like them too. Also I am looking at tutorials on YouTube and I found one for the lips she says to paint the outlines of the lips first I’m worrying because when I do that If i dont work fast enough the paint makes a mark on the lips which doesnt look right since it’s not genesis you have a limited time to work the paint. Also I’m stuck with veins on one tutorial it says not to use such a tiny brush but on another it says to use a tiny brush. Also when I do veins I get pooling on each side of the brush stroke. I dunno it’s really hard to explain. Some times even if I prep the vinyl the brush strokes seem to separate and go in to little puddles usually on the arms and legs. And its really frustrating. I dont know what to do about this problem

3 Likes

Do you have any photos of your reborns?

1 Like

Are you using a primer on the kit first? Are you using an air dry paint thinner or just water?

Veins were really tricky for me, I thought I had to make them super thin but then they looked like cracks. I started blending them in by using a short wide eyeliner brush and tapping them on and then pouncing them to blend so they look subtle under the skin

1 Like

Yes I am prime them first then I begin to paint I’ve only dont this on bountiful baby reborns so not sure about the rest

Unfortunately I do not

I use Waterborne air dry paints. I use slo-dri with my paints and it helps to slow the drying of my paints and give me a little more work time. You can get a retarder online or at a craft store. When I do veins I use a bit of extra slo-dri which stops the beading I apply my veins with an eye shadow liner brush then use a cosmetic wedge to blend the ends of shape them.

I don’t really follow a tutorial. I just go with what I think looks good.

2 Likes

Do you let the primer set for 24 hours before you paint?

What brand of paint are you using? Are you adding anything to the paint besides water?

1 Like

Add some golden satin glazing liquid to your mix. It acts as a slow dry, will thicken up the runny paint and help with transparency.

No I dont becouse I’m quite impatient tbh

I’m using golden airdry paints no I dont add anything else to the paint as I dont know how how the paint will turn out if I do. im worrying that it will not dry properly and such if I add too much retarder

I dont know how much to add

I use Liquitex Professional air dry paints but I believe they’re similar to Golden. I add just a very small amount of Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel to my paints with the water. It helps the paint to stick and diminishes beading. I use a tiny brush for veins. If it’s pooling, your paint may be a little too thin. Try making it just a little thicker and test it on a limb flange. Most of the time I don’t outline lips on caucasian babies, but if I do it’s only a shade lighter than the rest of the lips. I don’t want it to look like adult lip liner. For the retarder, start with 5% of the amount of paint, but no more than 10%.

1 Like