Seeing Orange or some other color

I often think I see orange in my dolls after I’ve finished all their layers (now, some of them did really have orange due to warm blush) even when I haven’t used warm blush or any orange paint. Usually it’s just in the face/head. I will sometimes ask my son and my husband, “Does this baby look orange to you?” or “What colors do you see in this baby’s face?” They often will say they see red or pink-red. This has me wondering if my eyes are strange. Do some people see certain colors in things more than others do? I like my babies to be between pink and pinkish red, or rosy, not too warm and not too cool but as close to a real baby’s blush/coloring as possible. So, what do you think about seeing certain colors others might not see so much or at all?

2 Likes

Maybe it’s lighting, in my work room I have special lighting to give the real day light feel and when I take my babies to my kitchen to bake the painting looks sooooo different because the lighting is different in different rooms

3 Likes

The lamp I use for painting is a daylight bulb, and I’ve noticed that natural daylight makes the dolls look less orange.

3 Likes

Lighting contributes a lot to the perception of color. And, yes, some people see color differently. Also, most people don’t know how to “see” color. When I first started painting reborns, I couldn’t see all the colors in the various skin tones. Now, I look at them and can see blue, red, yellow, etc.

As long as others aren’t saying the baby’s color looks strange, you’re probably fine.

3 Likes

Thank you, Amy. I too can now see different colors in skin. I find myself studying babies when I’m out and about. At my son’s Tae Kwon Do class there is this adorable 13 month old boy that toddles around. He has the prettiest copper-blonde hair, baby fine, and the roundest blue eyes. I love to study his skin coloring and his hair. Even the swirl at the top of his head is picture perfect. If I could get away with taking a few pics of him for painting reference, I would. LOL But I study him hoping to burn it into my memory. :smiley:

1 Like

I do that, too! Hopefully, in a way that mommy doesn’t think I’m a weirdo. Well…maybe I am but I’m a happy weirdo, not a harmful one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Same here! :blush:

1 Like