Securing your nursery name

Hmmm… I can understand the trademark, but adding to or changing it should in theory change it? I don’t understand the laws involved, but it’s definitely something to consider. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Nope. Adding to it doesn’t make a difference. That would be like saying “Mickey Mouse Reborn Nursery” is okay. They still own Mickey Mouse just like they own Its a small world.

5 Likes

Adding “reborn nursery” to it doesnt protect you from their trademark. :cry: I recommend choosing a different name. And Disney is relentless when it comes to protecting their tradmarks. It’s better to just choose something new now instead of later down the road when you’ve been at this awhile and have a following.

4 Likes

Disney is like a brick wall with anything they own.

Please change it completely. Any reference to anything owned by Disney is a recipe for disaster. You can’t fight them on it. They will take you down if you violate one of their trademarks.

Better to be safe.

3 Likes

When you do pick a nursery name you can get it trademarked and that will prevent anyone else from being legally allowed to use it. You just have to make sure it is not in use by anyone else.

1 Like

Disney has been known to go hard after those who use their names when caught. I wouldn’t risk it, even adding reborns to the name isn’t enough of a change for them to not care if they come across it.

4 Likes

I really hadn’t considered that Disney owns that entire phrase, or what that really entails. I chose this name because many years ago, I lost my second oldest son. He was premature and had contracted an infection from me at birth, which resulted in his death due to not a lot being known about this virus at the time or how to treat it. After his birth, my husband purchased a little doll from the hospital gift shop. He didn’t know it was a music box, but when I wound it up, it played It’s a small world. There was so much significance in the words of that song to the entire situation, especially the fact that he was born into this world so small. That music box sits above my work space currently. :heart: I’m sure none of that would matter if I got sued over copyright infringement, so I will have to change it.107823854_683525568895462_5517757973426560788_n

7 Likes

Could you use Small World Reborn Nursery?

I thought of that too, but if they own that entire phrase, can you use part of it and not get in trouble for it? I have no clue…

3 Likes

I wonder if you could use it in French? Petit Monde Reborn Nursery doesn’t sound bad. Or some other language I just thought the French sounded cool. What was your son’s name? Maybe you can use that in the name? “name’s small world reborn nursery”? Surely that can’t be trademarked.

2 Likes

A family member worked for Disney graphics dept., and let’s just say, yeah, you don’t want them to come after you. They’re really huge. Glad you are thinking of something else. How about something like “Wonderful World Nursery”, if no one else has it. Or “World of Wonder”?

1 Like

Worlds of wonder was a toy company in the 80s. They made Teddy. Ruxpin.

Check and see if anyone still owns it before you use it.

1 Like

Something you can do to kind of deter people from using your nursery name and design, is to use copyright law.

Anytime you make something, design something that is your work and idea, you own the copyright. The second it’s created!

You can use the symbol and note it on your website, social media, etc. without doing any legal legwork!

When I was working as a photog, I had a logo and website that I designed myself. In order to keep others from using those things, I put "All images and design copyright (my name) andenter year i.e. 2004-2020.

You can register it, but doing so makes it no more official than you just saying you own it. If you have to take someone to court over it, though, it must be registered.

Most people don’t know enough about the ins and outs of business law to argue with you about it. And if they’re serious about creating a business, they should be doing the leg work of searching out exact or similar names. Usually, all it takes is seeing the circled c beside your name and they will move on to something else. It usually has folks thinking you HAVE registered it legally, and they aren’t as likely to argue with you about it.

Super easy and free way to at least preserve your identity a little bit!

I am referring to copyright in the US, though. It is different in other countries.

2 Likes

They own the rights to the entire phrase " it’s a small world" they do not own the rights to the individual words within the phrase so yes legally you could use “small world nursery”

2 Likes

Well I changed it to A small world…hoping that will keep me out of jail :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes