Second quality kits - do you disclose that in your listing?

Second quality kits - do you disclose that in your listing?
Or listing realborn without COA is a known fact that it’s not a first quality? However it might be known to reborn artists, but not buyers.
I recently heard on youtube from a well known artist that she never buys first quality kits (except Patience).
I am working on second quality Brittany and beside a few tiny black dots don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s not a boo boo baby (at least not yet), I am not sure how I am suppose to list it. And should I leave those tiny dots as it is or turn them into the birthmarks?
What is your usual approach to imperfections like that?
Thank you for you input!

1 Like

I’ve never disclosed whether it’s 1st or 2nds. I’ll just add that it has COA or not
I don’t think anyone has really asked me

6 Likes

I only mention that there is a black dot and show a picture of it, if there is one on the kit.

3 Likes

@katieperry Those dots are so small that I am not sure if I can even display them on photos, however they might be noticeable at the end. Maybe they concerns me because I am looking on them through magnification. I’ll see how they will look after I varnish them at the end.

1 Like

I also only do seconds kits except for the older babies like Jewel. I do not specify if it is a seconds. If there is a flaw with the kit, I state it, but I have not seen any appreciable differences between the first and second quality kits i have done.

2 Likes

If they are that small on yours, then you might not even need to mention it- this is one that I mentioned it- it was on her knuckle- and you could really see it. Otherwise you might not even need to-
HEre was my Dominic- I called it a birthmark but I did call attention to it but if you can’t even see the mark on yours then I wouldn’t bother mentioning it. Mine you could see.
https://www.reborns.com/item/65715/1

1 Like

IMO it is the finished art that matters. Should an oil painting in a museum have a disclosure that the paint was bought on sale? I also don’t agree with many of you that the insides matter a whole lot. I hope and pray that people who buy my dolls love the baby and don’t dissect it to see what brand of stuffing I use.

8 Likes

Have you tried removing the black dots? I had a kit that had multiple, noticeable black dots that came off by rubbing them with the tip of a toothpick dipped in Windsor and Newton. Not all kits come with a COA. If it usually does, and you don’t have it, you should probably mention it. Many people wouldn’t even care. I bought a test head once and turned it into a full reborn. The only thing I could find wrong with it was a lump of vinyl, about 1/2” in diameter and 1/4” thick inside the head. It didn’t affect the end result at all and it never occurred to me to mention it.

2 Likes

A second quality kit can still make a first quality doll. The problems are usually overcome before selling. The fact that the kits come without a certificate doesn’t bother most people. I price my seconds kit dolls a little lower than my firsts, but there is usually nothing at all wrong with the doll by the time it hits the market.

2 Likes

Same here. If it is damage that is visible and needs to be repaired in a way that alters the doll I won’t paint it.

2 Likes