Ruby by Cassie Brace

Have you guys seen that Ruby will be a “numbered edition” meaning that there will be an unlimited amount of kits?
Also Cassie Brace says other artists are going to follow suit in order to prevent theft. I don’t think I like the idea…whats the point of preorders anymore?

https://www.dollssoreal.com/collections/cassie-brace/products/ruby-doll-kit-by-cassie-brace?ls=en

1 Like

She’s lovely! I personally love the idea, because I usually can’t afford kits when they first come out. It also keeps people from hoarding the kits and then selling them for 3x the price.

4 Likes

In some ways I like it but it also devalues the kit so there will be no sold out kits, thats the point of collecting and certainly the point of preorders. Ill have to keep track of which ones are actually LE’s and which are open or “numbered” editions now.
The only good thing for this one is that Im going to be leaving to the US the middle of October and wont be back until mid November so I worry about preordering too much right now.

3 Likes

Right, that makes sense. But Saskia isn’t numbered and she’s still considered super valuable and is highly desired. I think it will depend on the kit, for sure. Not every kit is going to sell well, some limited edition kits take years and years to sell out and some non-limited kits sell out immediately. Edition doesn’t necessarily equal popularity.
Pre-ordering is only useful then if the kit is likely to sell out quickly so you make sure you get one. I don’t pre-order anymore so it doesn’t affect me too much. It just ensures that no one misses out, and I like that. There are so many kits I would love to get but they’re sold out and the people selling them want way more than the original price and it isn’t worth it.

4 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t pay so much for some of the sold out kits. I think thats only for people who want to keep it for themselves and Im not a collector.
I didnt really think about it that way…I didnt think about Saskia. I think Ruby will be popular, people love the droopy, sleepy, scrunched up, mouth look. Im glad I don’t have to preorder her and if everyone starts doing this my husband will be really happy.
I suppose there will be people who put value on what number you have, like 1 through 50 or something like that.

2 Likes

I agree, I think in the end it will be a good thing. It helps fight the knockoffs and makes the kit more accessible to everyone who wants it. I think those collectors who care about edition number aren’t the majority, most of my customers are casual collectors and they don’t care if it even has a COA. I think there will always be some limited edition kits, they won’t go away entirely but a lot of sculptors will move away from them.

3 Likes

I could not have put it better than MilosMeadows :blush:

Seriously there was someone selling kits the other day on fb and she was wanting several hundred for each long sold out kit, I am talking £500 PLUS. If someone adds a little on for a long sold out kit then I am usually happy to pay it but not almost 5/6/7 times what the kit cost originally.
I managed to find a miracle over a year ago that someone sold to me for a reasonable price and I was so relieved.

3 Likes

I hope it’ll work. Limited edition kits can get insanely expensive. I myself wouldn’t buy knock offs but I can understand it’s tempting if you want a kit badly but you can only get it for $500 legitimately.
I don’t really see the reason for pre orders anyways, unless it’s very likely they’ll sell out within a day. I never pre ordered and don’t think I will. I just don’t see the point.

2 Likes

Nevermind. I see my answer now!

1 Like

Some babies do sell out in preorder but not many.

1 Like

I think it’s just a marketing technique to get us in panic mode. I don’t buy them anymore unless it’s limited and I fall in love with the kit.

2 Likes

I like this idea. As for value…Chase, Saskia, Levi…lots of great kits are timeless. Limited edition just limits the sculptors ability to make money off the kits, and allows for hoarders to profit by snagging the kits to jack up the price. I would rather the sculptor get that extra money. :woman_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

I agree! Look at how well so many of Bonnie’s babies sell. The twins are insanely popular along with Levi, Chase and Saskia. It takes the pressure off of having to buy a kit you love when it first comes out for fear of missing out on it. I’m glad Cassie will be doing her kits like this because it gives us a better chance at getting them and then the sculptors are making the money. That being said… when Bonnie releases Laura and Maddy you can be sure they will hop in my cart :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Me too…I can’t wait for Maddie :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I was mad when I bought a kit in the past and it said limited edition, and then they came out with a “second edition” which was not a numbered edition I felt like I got scammed on the whole limited edition jargon

4 Likes

Sometimes it can be so confusing. I thought Scarlett by Bonnie was an open edition, but it looks like she is now sold out. I wish sometimes it would be more spelled out how many of the kit will be made (like how many editions or if it will be an open edition).

2 Likes