Rooting textured hair

I am rooting a whole head (not something I do on the regular) but it is turning into some good art therapy for me. I am using some very, very curly textured hair I purchased from another artist. It is so realistic, I love the affect however it is really hard to root and there is a lot of waste.

I am sure I am doing it wrong. With this hair because it is so tightly curled it is hard to too root from the ends so I have to root from the center. It will break once I root it so I don’t have odd tails sticking out of the head but it leaves both ends unusable after I get half the hair in.

If you have thin spots, you just do, If I try to fill them I get a mess, it starts to “felt”.

Anyone root with textured hair? is there a secret?

I am rooting Malik, a kit I bought from an artist here and I love him, he is a great sculpt, I had to root him, he just called for it. I will have worse carpel tunnel when I am done but I hope it will be worth it. He is little but seems like an older baby so I hope all this hair is realistic.

I am stopping myself from turning him into a circus baby… my goodness he would be adorable (er). maybe I will paint him again. Love that little guy.

(The hair comes on a long weft, it is in super tight spiral curls, I started using a 40 single barb but moved to a 42 multi barb, it only grabs 2, maybe 3 hairs at a time)

2 Likes

I rooted some very curly once and ironed it first to straighten it a bit. When I finished rooting I washed her hair and it curled again naturally.

2 Likes

I think maybe I did a spiral needle for the coiled hair, rooted from the end.

4 Likes

I have been rooting Liam on n off for the past 2 months. When I started. It was a lil difficult with the textured hair. I was also loosing hair after rooting n combing it out. Now I comb the hair out first, then flatiron it, then root it. This is the hair

3 Likes

I did super curly hair with pink needle 42g 3 barbs. That hair is definitely not for monorooting, plus curly hair needs more density anyway as it’s not laying flat and creating ‘spaces’ when curled (if it makes sense).

2 Likes

I rooted megan with some curly hair and really hated it at first. I then stopped caring about how curly the hair was as I rooted and it helped tremendously. If the hair is naturally curly it should easily go back to its shape with some water and styling!

5 Likes

I used a flat iron and straighten it. Like @Marydi said, it curls up again when you wet it.

2 Likes

Great idea!

Didn’t even think to do this, my gawd, thank you.

1 Like

You welcome. It cuts down on the amount of hair loss if you comb it out first.

1 Like