Rooting hair?

Let me know when you list her. I would love to buy her if I can afford it. If not I can cheer you on lol

2 Likes

Ok! Her eyes are now in too.

I will post on here when she is ready for adoption and EBay.

1 Like

@Leslie76 - I buy my 43g single barb needles from Secrist. I have some from BB and they are not the same. The Secrist needles are much finer and easier to root with. (They cost more too).

3 Likes

Thanks so much I never bought from secrist. I donā€™t think I ever been on there site Iā€™m gonna go check it out. I been googling them canā€™t find single barbs anywhere.

This is the one I use: secristdolls.comĀ -Ā This website is for sale!Ā -Ā secristdolls Resources and Information.

1 Like

Bountiful Baby finally has 43g single barb. I did buy some but I wanted to ask you, is there that big of difference between BB an secrist? I didnā€™t end up getting from secrist, maybe I should of. Just to try an see the difference. They are just a little expensive for me an I do pretty good with BB but maybe they get dull faster. I donā€™t know. Iā€™m finally understanding the different size needles an the barbs lol I like the crown needles too but those I know get dull. Well I was just wondering what u thought.

Leslie, Pia says the ones from Secrist are stronger. I read an article from BB that basically said the needles were all made by the same manufacturer. Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s the case now. I ordered my last batch from Secrist and they did seem to last longer but I donā€™t know if itā€™s the needle or if I just got better. I have some left over from BB and need to use those now. I probably didnā€™t help and just muddied the water a bit more. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I could of just scrolled up @pias comment lol I appreciate any advice any of you can give me on reborning. I just wanna get better at rooting my babies. Like I said I do like the crown needles also I think I have the 40g. They do get dull quick though. I did Byron with 43g an it came out pretty good. Im thinking Iā€™m gonna order some from sacrist to try them out. It definitely wonā€™t hurt. alot of you root so nice Iā€™m jealous lol in time I guess I only been doing it for a year part time so I guess more practice. Iā€™m my own worst critic. Lol thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me know what you think when you use the BB 43G single barb needles. I find that they leave a larger hole and they donā€™t root as smoothly as the Secrist needles. I disagree that all of the needles are manufactured in the same place. If that was the case, then the 2 needles would be exactly the same and they arenā€™t. (A master rooter that custom roots prototypes for other artists can tell a big difference between the Secrist and the BB 43G).

2 Likes

Pia, I have been using the BB 43g single barb, I ordered and received the Secrist needles today so I am going to give them a go on my next baby. Hoping theyā€™ll make me a master rooter overnight, LOL !

2 Likes

Lynn, if they make you a master rooter overnight, please sen ME some!

2 Likes

OK, will do. I have to go start another baby now----Think Iā€™m going to do Precious Gift. Someone did one on here recently and it was really cute, makes me want to do mine. Iā€™m going to try to do a newborn look so will try to get more red color on there. I really have trouble with that, color I mean. I tend to keep my dolls really light. No confidence.

1 Like

OK, will do. I have to go start another baby now----Think Iā€™m going to do Precious Gift. Someone did one on here recently and it was really cute, makes me want to do mine. Iā€™m going to try to do a newborn look so will try to get more red color on there. I really have trouble with that, color I mean. I tend to keep my dolls really light. No confidence.

I must be very confident then, Lynn. All my first dolls were very red and I have had to work my way back to softer, lighter tones. I have a toddler that I always dress in summer clothes because he looks sunburned. I named him Somerled.

3 Likes

I grab 16 needles from secrist today. I also bought there 40g it said they was good for rooting eyebrows. BBs should be here tomorrow. I ordered 3 uncut bottles an watch I will like secrists needles lol this last batch of 43g I have left from BB I broke so many of them. I never break them like that. So I will let you know how I like them. Thanks I saw some other things on that site I would like to get too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wish i had no confidence. ā€¦maybe my dolls wouldnā€™t be so red!

If your dolls are red just do a thin green wash. You may have to do a few layers until your happy with it. As far as the needles I really do well with 40g an 42g crown needles :slight_smile:

For this doll ā€œLillianā€ Marie, I used the Angora Mohtique Black mohair. I used a 42g 1 barb tip rooting needle from Dolls So Real which is so very tiny. It seems to make a much smaller hole which looks so realistic. I love doing it but my arm gets tired. I finished this in one day. I rooted all day though.

I did buy some of the crown tip needles as well but I have to get used to it.

That looks amazing!

1 Like