Rooting hair?

thats the exact needle ive been using but do use 46 g around hairline also. thats y i like to use the rice sock too bc its supposed to close the rooting hole around the hair…just not in my case i guess! haha! thanks for sharing your methods @pia at least i know theres not something else i should or shouldnt b doing!

Have you tried the German forked needle? I have used them before and you usually only get a hair or two at a time. I use 42, 43 and 46 3barb and single barb, they break easier then the 36-40 gauge needles but makes smaller holes and only grabs 1 or 2 hairs…

i have tried both the 42 and 43g forked needles and cannot get them to root the slumberland kid hair that i have! i used them awhile back with angela sprotts mohair and while they were tricky, i did get a hair in every so often. but ive tried and tried with the kid mohair and no luck at all. i think its hard bc i was told you have to hold the hair and needle at a 90 degree angle, but i dont grt this bc then wouldnt the hair be sticking straight up? the way ive been trying, when i hold my needle at an angle to the head. i cant get it to pass thru the hair bc i dont know where to lay the hair. i dont think any of what i just said made any sense, i dont know how to explain it. i am using the 46g crown and the 43g

oops, i posred before i was finished… 43g 1 barb and im getting smaller holes than i do with the 43 forked.

There is an edit function left of the REPLY button.

I do not like fork needles because they are fatter and leave bigger holes. Being stronger they do not break, but then I do not break the finer ones very often any more. :smile:

1 Like

thanks for that @ludmila, i see it now.

Be sure you can feel where the barb is on the needle and root with you looking at the flat side that is closest to you. You might try another of your needles or a new section of hair to see if that makes s difference. Are you heating the head?

There are some ladies that use a heating pad, just doesn’t stay warm for very long.

You need to feel where the barb is and that has to be toward the head. You will be looking at the flat side of the needle that is opposite the barb. There are no barbs on the flat part of the needle.

Your needle should have 1 barb on each of the 3 edges. You will still need to position the needle so that the barb is toward the rooting surface and you will be looking at one of the flat sides of the needle. It really does take patience to figure out where the Barb picks up the hair, but you will get there!

You are very welcome. Rooting can be frustrating until you get the groove going!

1 Like

I did use rice (NOT cook rice) but the baby head had pop corn smell… When I heat 2 1/2 minutes, it’s not hot enough to make the head soft. I heat 10 minutes… Btw … Or should I cook the rice first ? So it become soft white rice ?

1 Like

I’m doing my first rooting now, I use 43g single barb, but it left “triangle” hole, and sometimes tiny line shape…maybe I did sonthing wrong .

Nope - don’t cook the rice first. I cannot imagine heating it for 10 minutes. Mine is just perfect in 2 1/2 to 3 minutes in the microwave on high.

Is sugargliders on here? I can’t find them, I need hair! Lol

1 Like

Yes - Carolyn is: @sugargliderus on this forum and you can message her.

2 Likes

Ok so still OUT OF STOCK 43g single barb ugghh!!! Does anyone know where I could get them. I looked on a few sites an just can’t seem to find the single barb. Im using the ones they use on the precious little baby dust DVD an I do like them but still would like to have the 43 single barb just in case. I always try to make sure I’m stocked up but I’m slacking lately.

I just did Ofelia’s hair with the 40G forked needle. This is my second time rooting. The first Ofelia was done with the 36 g barbed needle. I found that the 40G is much easier to work with and it didn’t pick up too much hair!

1 Like

I haven’t tried the fork needles yet but I love the rooting you did on ofelia. Those pictures on the other post she/he is gonna be adorable. I’m not that great at rooting yet but I will get there. Lord knows I messed up enough babies practicing lol. I hear the fork needles are really hard to root with. I do have like 4 43g fork needles I bought In a listing on eBay but have yet to try them. Maybe when I get better I will try them out. :blush:

1 Like

It wasn’t hard at all for me with the forked needle. Maybe because her vinyl is so soft, idk, but I didn’t break the needle.

1 Like