Rooting and wig questions

• Are soft heads harder to root or am I getting carpal tunnel or something. I’m rooting a soft head and my hands are hurting. I’m scared to try and root the next ones which aren’t soft but normal vinyl.

• What are the best and most realistic wigs for big babies like June 7 mo? Not even going to attempt to root that big ole noggin now.

*Are there any realistic wigs for younger babies? I have one that can’t be painted because I’ve taken hair out when I repainted him. Looking at wig options.

2 Likes

Some that are too soft the vinyl caves in with each poke and I find that challenging because the motion is longer

1 Like

I have had good luck with wigs on monique.com

2 Likes

For sure and Tibby’s head caved on the sides and made rooting a challenge for sure😫

I’m gripping the area I’m rooting with my left hand to keep it from caving and rooting with my right. They start to cramp up.

I have read where you can put the wax beads like you can buy at Michael’s, in the head to fill it, then put in polyfil, and a plug or cover of some kind to hold it in. Then, I am told, it will root easier.

1 Like

fill the head with poly pellets, stuff the neck with a washrag, and root away-----makes it super easy on soft vinyl and keeps you from breaking needles due to flexing. I have been doing this forever. For hard heads, get a Himalayan Salt Lamp insert to heat the head from the inside. Be sure to get the insert with the metal ‘wings’ to hold it in place.

3 Likes

I have the same problem which is why I like to use a wig on certain dolls. Some heads are just way too soft on top and cave in every time you poke. Try Monique. The mohair and human hair types are more realistic than the acrylic. I use mine mostly for toddlers. You will probably have to thin it out for a baby doll.

1 Like

your doll WON’T cave in if you fill it full with poly pellets, trust me, it works.

3 Likes

I will definitely remember that next time! Thanks for the suggestion

Brilliant. I never thought of doing that. Thanks Lynn!

You’re welcome. Make sure the head is full, stuff the neck with a washrag or cloth of some kind and root. It’s PERFECT for soft heads. When your done, remove the cloth, empty poly pellets into the bag or a bowl and keep for next time.

1 Like