Rooted hair stuck to sock filled pellets

The last couple times I rooted a head, I filled it with a stocking filled with Polly pellets. When I finished rooting n tried to pull the stocking out. The hair inside of the head was stuck to the stocking of poly pellets. I was afraid to pull it out. It was stuck pretty good to the rooted hair. I didn’t wanna pull all my hard work out. So I just cut the stocking n let the pellets pour out. Do anybody know why the Rooted hair stuck to the stocking?

2 Likes

It kind of roots into the mesh of the stocking. I fill my heads with polypellets for rooting but I just pour them directly into the head up to the neck and pack them in tightly with paper towels. When I’m done rooting, I pour the pellets out and use a dry paintbrush to dislodge any that are stuck inside the head.

6 Likes

I was pouring the pellets directly into the head when I first started using the pellets. I stopped because they were sticking to the inside of the head. My brain didn’t honk to use a dry brush to remove hem. Thank you

2 Likes

Can I ask why you fill the head before rooting? Am new to this and learning x

3 Likes

To prevent the vinyl from splitting or cracking. Filling the head gives the vinyl support.

4 Likes

Ah ok that makes sense, thank you x

2 Likes

That gives me an idea…what if you lined the head before rooting with some kind of thin fabric. Root the head and let the hair mesh in the fabric. Seal the hair and fabric to the head with glue. It would give the hair and glue a better surface to grip and provide a better hold. Not sure if this is practical - my engineering brain is just spinning its wheels :crazy_face:

6 Likes

That sounds like it would work really well!! :thinking:

When I am rooting a head that flexes a lot like with the super soft vinyl, I use a neck plug.I make sure the plug fits nice and tight. This keeps the air pressure inside the head and keeps the head from collapsing or flexing.There are times I need to put tape around the plug to make it fit tight. If I loose some air along the way I just take the plug out and let the head fill with air again, then plug it back up. This also allows me to check every so often to make sure the hair is rooting all the way through the vinyl.

6 Likes

When I cut the stocking n let the beads pour out. I glued the hair with the sticking in it. I didn’t wanna risk pulling the hair out with pulling the stocking out.

3 Likes

I might have to try that. Thanks

1 Like

You welcome

It would have pulled the hair out for sure. I always bake my heads with polyfil in them and sometimes I forget to take it out before I root the lashes. Then when I pull the stuffing out even that takes a lot of hair with it.

1 Like

Seems it stuck to the stocking because the hair got rooted into it somehow. If you leave the stocking after cutting it to let the pellets out, how will you be able to glue the hair?

1 Like

That’s exactly the reason I stopped using a heated rice sock when I root. I would always lose a ton of hair when I pulled the rice sock out, as I’d have rooted into it.

1 Like

Yes you can. You may have to do 2 coats of glue tho.

1 Like

It never happened when I used a rice sock.

bumping, seems informative.

I do it the same way as @jeanhai with no issues.