Replacing eyes in doll

I’ve just bought an Ashton Drake Little Grace doll. I’ve been wanting one for years and I finally managed to find one new in a box on Ebay for a good price. She arrived today and overall I’m happy with her but I hate her eyes! They’re this weird purplish colour and make her look sort of demonic and possessed :crazy_face:. Unfortunately she’s a newer version with rooted hair as the old one had much nicer eyes. I’m thinking of changing them for better ones but not sure if it’s possible. Her head is rock hard so is it solid? Can the eyes be removed and replaced and how difficult a job is it?

I’ve heard with some types of eyes you can take a blow dryer to them ( just direct the heat towards the eyes but not on top of them) to get the color back…idk if that would work or not but worth a try?

How does that work? The eyes aren’t discoloured as far as I can tell, they just aren’t a nice colour to begin with so I want to change them if I can.

Well, the purple eyes are not the original color, they probably have changed over time. You could see if holding a blow dryer up to the face with the heat towards the eyes can correct the color.

So I think I might be wrong about it working on your doll, apparently it only works for glassene (not sure of spelling) eyes.

I think these eyes are acrylic not glass. I’ll try and take a picture, see if someone’s got any ideas what I can do. I’m really pleased with her apart from her eyes.

if the head is just zip tied on, you could easily snip the zip tie and take the head off, then the eyes may be inside of a little vinyl socket that you can very carefully take and exacto knife to and make little moon shaped slits to remove them.

She is a Linda Murray sculpt and you should be able to take off her head and remove them from the inside? Perhaps you can even heat the inside of her head with a hair dryer and push them out through the front of the socket?

I will try that with a hairdryer, thank you. Her head is sooo hard I can’t imagine being able to push any part but I’ll give it a go. What size eyes do I need to replace them with and what shape is easiest to put in, round or oval?

1 Like

See what comes out!

I thrifted an 18"ish child doll with eyes that discolored to an odd purple color a few years ago. It makes her look a bit magical, so I left them as is. But I can defintely see how it wouldn’t suit a baby doll.