Reborn painting

Hi everyone, I’m new here I’ve started trying to reborn and I’m using mod podge with water and acrylic paints is this ok ? , and can I use mod podge to seal after? Thankyou

1 Like

I’m not an expert. I only use Genesis. But I would think you need to get paints and sealers that are marketed for reborning specifically. You can buy starter sets fairly cheap. It doesn’t sound like it would be worth the risk to invest so much time using products that won’t hold up.

If you use craft paint, you better use decoart sealer or medium, like glass and tile one.

1 Like

I use genesis paints but i have used mod podge to glue the mohair from inside the head. I have no clue if you can paint with it.

If you want to use acrylics you should use professional quality ones like Golden or Liquitex brands or ones made specifically for reborning. I use Liquitex and really like the results. Craft acrylics will fade over time and all your work will be lost. I seal my air dry babies with Americana Soft Touch Varnish. I’ve never used Mod Podge as a sealer. Try it on a test piece to see if it’s flexible enough for vinyl. Otherwise, it may crack. YYou can also e-mail the company and ask them.

1 Like

I have to agree and disagree. On facebook @anjsmiles had a post on her group about craft paint. I wouldn’t use it for dolls I’d sell. I’m using professional paints and mediums and there is a difference. But, I also watch a YouTube channel by a woman who uses folk art. She uses Genesis to seal in her Nuwave. Her dolls look great and haven’t faded.

I recommend using the best you can afford. Professional or student grade acrylics, Golden or liquitex mediums, Loew or baby strokes brushes and lint free paper towels. You’ll regret cheap things later. And price the starter kits by items in the kit. Most of them aren’t worth it.

1 Like

Hi…welcome :blush:. I just wanted to see if I could paint a doll so I started with Folk Art craft paints. I use liquitex Matt medium…a little bit, and Slo dri. I prime with the brick and tile sealer and seal with deco art with baby powder mixed in it with a tiny amount of water. So far they have not faded…but only started last year. If I ever progress enough I’m sure I will invest in better paints. But for now…I’m happy. :blush:

3 Likes

Totally agree. For sale it’s better to use the best. But for keep, or for practice, craft paints are great. I have one I made for my daughter nearly two years ago and it’s still in really good condition.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve heard from a lot of ladies. Did you use their medium and sealer?

Yes, I used americana mediums and deco art soft touch varnish. I don’t know why people are so affraid of those paints. Sure if you let the dolls in sunlight they may fade faster. I have seen some genesis painted dolls that have fade too.

1 Like

Any paint will fade eventually. It’s the nature of pigments. I have no problem with craft paint though I’d prefer to sell and buy babies painted with better materials. If you’re starting out, a cheap doll, paint and a body will let you experiment and see how you do.

I spent a lot on professional air dry supplies so I’m stuck with them until they are done. I do see air dry systems that tempt me all the time. They look easier than my own way of making reborns.

1 Like

Your right. I tried Luminaire, Liquitex, RebornFX, Golden and Ultimate fusion. I like all of them. But I began with craft paint until I feel confident enough with my technic to start selling. Mistake are less expensive !

3 Likes

Mistakes are expensive with the artist paints!

1 Like

Thank you everyone for advice :grin:

1 Like

The mod podge was a disaster the doll cracked like something from a horror film, so I’ve stripped her washed her and started again, do I need to prime before paints? Or can I just paint I’ve also bought the Matt varnish for after, its docrafts artiste matt varnish are they ok?

2 Likes

Some say prime others don’t. I don’t and use Liquitex heavy and soft body. Use Liquitex ultra matte gel in with your paints instead of Mod Podge see how that works. Then seal with a Soft Touch Varnish.

2 Likes

Anne . Thanks for the advice x

1 Like

Finally finished My first rebirn would love people’s thoughts on him/her ,

5 Likes

Very good -lovely hair:) great job

1 Like

I think a little bit more blush and crease shading might be needed. Overall, though, I think he/she looks good. The hair looks realistic. Great job for a first baby. Is that Kaya? I almost didn’t recognize her.

1 Like