Reborn Fx Paint?

Anyone use this? If so, have you had any issues with it chipping or simply peeling off? I don’t know if it’s a fluke or what, but I just started using it, and have two doll kits that have paint peeling off. Anyone else have this issue? I’m used to using Baby FX paint, which I love, but, unfortunately, isn’t being produced anymore :angry:

Did you prime the kit and let all the layers cure properly? That’s all I can think of…

1 Like

@anjsmiles

I use it and have had no problems. I’ve even scraped it with my finger nail and did not even get a scatch.

I only use the emulsion and it’s happen to me when vynil parts touch each other before it was fully cure. I think it’s take a week or two to be cure. I seal with their sealer and varnish with Soft touch varnish.

I’ve been using it since the very beginning of the RebornFx line and I’ve never had it chip, peel or come off in any way unless I scrubbed with very strong alcohol to strip the kit. Even then it is often difficult to remove :worried: How did you clean and prep your vinyl? How did you thin the paints? Did you use another product brand as a base, along with or on top of them? Sorry for all the questions but trying to help think of what could possibly cause this.

2 Likes

I have been using it since it was in the testing stages and have never had paint peel off or chip. You do have to clean your kit properly, prime it and allow it to fully cure. As mentioned above, the pieces cannot touch while curing or they will stick together as the bonding mediums in the paint is curing. I do not allow my pieces touch until they are fully cured and final varnished, allowing that to cure a week as well.

My biggest suspicions are that the kit was not free of oils, causing the paints to not adhere well or they were not fully cured or they were not mixed properly.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s a pain to strip !:disappointed_relieved:

Always! I’ve used baby fx for the past couple of years and it was literally the best paint I ever used. Never had any issues with it; no paint coming off, scratches or anything. I got reborn fx thinking it would be like baby fx, but it’s not. I’ve used waterborne, luminaire, as well. Don’t care for luminaire and I liked waterborne until they changed the recipe a couple of years (or maybe more) ago.

I clean my kits and prep them. Haven’t had an issue like this in over 2 years. I use water to thin them. I prep with folkart glass and tile. I used the reborn fx along with some of the baby fx I had left, which it says reborn fx is compatible with.

I think I’m going to give these paints another try. Guess what I didn’t do?! I didn’t shake them lol I didn’t read the directions on the back. I decided to buy some emulsion ‘just in case’ there has been an issue with the reborn fx blending with my left over baby fx and I’ll see how that goes. At this point, I’m thinking it may have been an error on my part, so, I’ll give it another shot (and shake the paint this time) and see what happens

A couple things- Glass and Tile is not a recommended method to prep the kits using RebornFX. They have a primer that you can use or I have also used a very thin layer of Golden Fluid Matte Medium as a primer. I did try using Glass and Tile medium many years ago but I stopped using it when I heard some artists were having issues with paint cracking and peeling if they used it as a base primer. So that could be your issue. It could also be that the RebornFX paints have something in them that does not react well with the Glass and Tile medium. Not sure…

My other thought is that perhaps you thinned the paints with too much water. While you can use some water in thinning the premixed paints, it is recommended to also add back a drop or two of Emulsion when doing this to offset the water you are using. If you do not have their Emulsion, I have tried using the Golden Fluid Matte Medium and that worked fine for me as well. (Liquitex has a brand as well). I typically do not add more than 10 drops of distilled water per 1 drop of paint in my mixing formulas and I add back a drop of Emulsion to this.

Also on a side note, if you are using other brands of Slow Dry/Retarder it is imperative that you add back some Emulsion to offset this because those products reduce adhesion and slow curing time a lot. RebornFX has their own brand called Open Time which has had some binders added back into it already.

While I am so very sorry that you have experience this issue, I have no doubt in my mind that this is coming from some sort of user error. I have tested and used these paints extensively, even building many layers upon layers for an ethnic reborn, and never had issues with them peeling or cracking. They DO need plenty of time to cure, especially if you used lots of layers or added in any brand of Slow Dry or Retarders which will greatly slow down the curing process.

One more thought is did you clean your kit with alcohol before painting? A few years back several folks were having issues with Miracle Blend paints not sticking well and it was discovered then by them that if you cleaned the kits with alcohol first that it does something to the vinyl that causes the paints not to stick well. I only ever clean my kits with Dawn soap and hot water. I also have some of the RebornFX paint stripper here that they recommend to use to clean a very oily kit with, followed by soap and water. That works well too. So you might want to get some of that to strip and clean your kit with to retry it.

1 Like

I’ve used folk glass and tile for years and it works beautifully for me. As far as the issue I am having with Reborn fx, I wrote this reply just above yours

"I think I’m going to give these paints another try. Guess what I didn’t do?! I didn’t shake them lol I didn’t read the directions on the back. I decided to buy some emulsion ‘just in case’ there has been an issue with the reborn fx blending with my left over baby fx and I’ll see how that goes. At this point, I’m thinking it may have been an error on my part, so, I’ll give it another shot (and shake the paint this time) and see what happens

And on top of what I wrote above, I also didn’t give the kits a long enough drying time, before I put the primer on, which caused issues with the primer and paint. But thank you for your input :slight_smile: It’s good to know people are having a good experience with reborn fx. Although, I’m not sure I’ll love a paint as much as I loved baby fx, I’m surely going to give it more time before deciding whether or not it’s the right one for me.

The 2 biggest difference you will see with the RebornFX paints is 1- they are not flat matte like BabyFX was due to them having much more binders in them and 2-The RebornFX have very pure concentrated pigments with very little white in them so you will use less paint than before. However, RebornFX has made some color matches to several of the BabyFX paint colors that were more creamy in pigmentation so look for those colors if you liked them.

Initially I was not sure I would like the BabyFX paints because I detest sheen. However, as I used them a while I realized they are more translucent and do produce gorgeous realistic skin tones. The sheen can be matted at the end by using their Sealer and Ultra Matte Varnish combo or you can apply their sealer, let cure 24-48 hours and then seal with Genesis varnishes of your choice. These paints react to heat set just fine.

They also have a RebornFX help page on FB you can join and Shelley Marie is there to answer any questions you have about the products.