Questions about Heatset vs Airdry Paints for Beginners and Longevity

For the past few years we’ve only collected babies but after attending Rose for our first time this month, we came home inspired.

It seems that most artists use GHS. Would this be a fair statement? Are heatset paints superior in terms of quality or the way they’re applied, AND in collectability and longevity of the doll?

The idea of airdry appeals to me due to them being less toxic and not having to heat up the vinyl. Do airdry paints have a rougher texture than GHS? Some of our babies have “rougher” skin than others but all are GHS. What causes this rough texture?

Why do you use the paints you use?

1 Like

I think there’s an even mix of people using GHSP and air dry. Most new artists are starting with air dry and a lot of older artists are using GHSP because it’s what we’re used to. Neither is better, both has the ability to look great and to look awful. There’s no difference in longevity or quality.
The roughness of the GHSP babies is due to matte varnish. It protects the vinyl from getting shiny and/or corrects shiny vinyl. It can also help protect the paint. Not necessary but I won’t go without it because I love the texture and hate the feel of the plain vinyl.

I use GHSP because it’s what I started with and I’ve grown used to it. I would never switch because I’m happy with it. I like that I can correct mistakes and I don’t have to worry about paint setting until I want it to.

4 Likes

Final texture depends on the final varnish code, not on the paint. I didn’t attends ROSE, but at IDTS I was surprize how rough most of babies feel to the touch. Even share that observation with @anjsmiles that those people need to follow her Soft Touch recipes :slight_smile: .
I use GHSP and probably will never try air dry. I am not afraid of the fumes.

2 Likes

Here is the recipe developed by @anjsmiles
20 drops water
1/4 tsp cornstarch
1 level plastic spoon of soft touch varnish
Dissolve cornstarch in water. Add soft touch varnish and mix well.
Apply with a cosmetic sponge.

So I understand, this recipe is applied as a final coat and it makes the dolls more smooth or less rough?

edit: I’m new and couldn’t figure out how to quote @YelenaRey in the above recipe. That’s her reply to someone else on a different topic.

4 Likes

Welcome @ThePatsyFamily nice to see you here! Your ROSE videos are awesome!

1 Like

Where are those? Would you please add a link? How did I miss those?

2 Likes

I think there will be a whole lot of new subscribers, lol!

3 Likes

Thanks @AnnieSokay. Yeah, we went to ROSE and we got so inspired. Apparently we think we want to learn to paint :rofl:

1 Like

Oh my goodness that will be so fun to watch, lol! We were all newbies at some point. I use Air Dry Paints. Good Luck in your new adventure but beware once you start you can’t stop, lol!

1 Like

You daughter is beautiful and so natural with a camera! I love how Dad was so involved in the shopping. The whole family is just great!

Ha-ha! didn’t meant is as reply to @AnnieSokay, but cannot delete now.

1 Like

Aww, thanks @YelenaRey :hugs:

1 Like

Hi and welcome! Yes the soft touch varnish is applied at the end to seal the paints. It is smooth to the touch and I really like it. I have only used air dry paints and I like them, now that I’ve gotten used to them. I suggest getting a good medium that extends the dry time so you have more time to work. I use Waterborne paints along with Golden acrylics. Waterborne paints are nice and inexpensive and last a long time.

2 Likes

First, I want to welcome you to the forum! It is a great forum, and very active. Also, there are lots of people here who are so willing to help in anyway they can!

I think MilosMeadows has a great answer and covers the bases well. I have never used GHSP. I know that the paints are safe, but the heated vinyl emits vapors that can be harmful. Never bake them in an oven you use for cooking food. I use air dry. I have health problems already and I cannot risk the GHSP. I understand that folks who use them “swear by them” and I do believe they have great success with them. Air dry paints are also great and folks have great success with them. I agree with the post on WaterBorne paints – I use them and I love them. The lady who formulated them did so to make them as close to the GHSP colors as she could. She is also very accommodating to her customers. She will even mix a particular paint you might need if it is not available already. I do not mix paints, so this is a great thing for me. Also, I am not an artist. I like to paint the dolls and I love my babies that I make. I have not sold any and never did intend to sell any from the beginning. Just make them for myself. Should I ever become good enough, I may consider selling. Not sure. Anyway, hunnybunsrebornsupply.com/ is the website in the event you want to check it out further. Stephanie is quick to answer any questions. Also, I found her paints the most affordable for the set. And, as I have said, they are quality paints. There are tutorials available on her website that can help you. If you are already an artist as other folks on here are, you will probably not need as much help as I do. :slight_smile: Interestingly enough, I have a daughter who is an artist and a grand daughter who is an artist – but, it seems to have slipped past me.

1 Like

I’ve used heatset when I first started and later switched to air dry. Not because of health reasons but because I just wanted to stay put while I was working, instead of having to get up to bake after every layer.
Neither paint is better or worse in the end result. While working with them they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Just make sure that when you do use air dry, you use good paints. Cheaper craft paints are very likely to fade or just won’t stick that well to the vinyl.

3 Likes

This does sound appealing.

My 10 year old daughter will be my sidekick for this too. I may just have to invest in some Reborn FX or see if anyone has a beginners guide to colors, or a materials list for Golden. Ironically I just received my order of Newborn Reborning Supply Beginner Starter Kit from BB today.

That would be a great project to do together!
And yeah, it’s one of the reasons I stuck with air dry. I can just paint all the parts and when I finish a layer on the last part, I can pick up the first one and it’ll be dry. So I can just keep going and going without having to wait for the paint to dry.

3 Likes

@anjsmiles has a Facebook group for airdry painting. There are lots of good articles and she posts videos too. The Reborn Connection For Reborn Doll Painting With Mixed Media | Facebook

2 Likes

So I understand, this recipe is applied as a final coat and it makes the dolls more smooth or less rough?

edit: I’m new and couldn’t figure out how to quote @YelenaRey in the above recipe. That’s her reply to someone else on a different topic.

Blockquote

That is correct. This is the air dry varnish mix I came up with that leaves a totally smooth and matte surface on the doll. You can us this mix over both fully cured Genesis Heat set or any brand Air Dry paints that have fully cured.

I myself prefer air dry paints due to allergy issues and toxicity but both methods of paints have their merits and I own and use both, though I primarily use air dry.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I have been watching your videos for years! I don’t know much about painting yet but just wanted to say welcome😊

1 Like