Putting earrings on your baby?

Has anyone put earrings on there babies? I have 2 customers who want them an I have no clue how to do it. I’m assuming with a awl I could make the hole. On eBay I bought a lot of kits,mohair, etc an it came with earrings but the little post that goes in the ears are plastic or rubber. I just don’t wanna ruin these babies so any advice would be great. Thank you ahead of time :slight_smile: Now back to work on my babies!!

1 Like

I just poke a starter hole with a very thin awl and then follow with a post earring. That finishes the job. I cut the posts a bit shorter, and I do not glue the earrings in. That way my customers can replace them or take them out entirely if they like.

13 Likes

How do they stay in Helen?

The vinyl closes around them and holds them very tightly. It is actually pretty hard to get them out.

5 Likes

I have used tiny crystals with adhesive back to look like earrings on some of my reborns. They are available at Michael’s and you get a lot of them on one little card. They look like earrings but no holes in the ears. They have not damaged the heat-set paint at all, but I don’t leave them on very long at a time. Just another idea.

2 Likes

I do what Helen does. It’s a very snug fit.

2 Likes

I was totally just wondering this!

3 Likes

I have just used a thick needle and poked a hole and then pushed in the earring post…Only done it on toddlers though

5 Likes

I just pushed them through and as honojoan said they Do Not come out easily.

4 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I have to put them in Liam an her ears are so tiny lol will have to show pictures. I’m so nervous I’m gonna mess up lol

3 Likes

You won’t. Just make a dot with a prisma pencil where you want the earrings to be so you know they’re even and in the right spot.

4 Likes

I do like westernstarr…very tiny Crystal earrings in the little ones if customer asks for it…they are very tiny…!..stay in well…and never glue them so that the customer can put others of her choice if sh

e likes.:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I use safety pin for my starter hole works good

3 Likes

So you cut the post short enough so it doesn’t stick out of the back of the ear, right? Or just cut it a tiny bit but still leave enough room for the back to get put on?

3 Likes

I want to do this on my Harlow, maybe, but she has such thick ear lobes I don’t think an eating would even go all the way through

1 Like

I only did it once and that kit had the ear lobe fused to the head, so it did not matter if the post was sticking out inside the head. I heated the vinyl and made the hole with large sewing needle, which was just slightly thinner that the earring post.

3 Likes

I don’t use backs on the earrings. They are too large for most dolls and would just look awkward. And I buy the tiniest earrings I can find. Some people have brought up the concern that base metals might react and stain the vinyl. You have to decide if this is a concern for you.

3 Likes

Would coating the earring posts with glue to protect the vinyl help with that issue?

2 Likes

It sure seems like it would, Amy. If not glue, then some other coating that is non-reactive.

3 Likes

I do not think it is weird to think mutilating babies is weird :slight_smile: Here it is actually against law to pierce or tattoo anybody under 15 (or something like that) and between that and 18 it can only be done with parental consent. Anybody who would do that to baby would get their license canceled. With pierced ears it is not so much about the actual piercing, but small earrings on babies are chocking hazard, and also they can get caught on something and tear the earlobe once the child starts getting around.

But if somebody asks me if I put an earring on a doll, I will do it, and my African babies have sterling silver ones with no problems.

1 Like