Problem with lovelynn kit

Ok, so i bought lovelyn askeep by ping lau last dec. Painted her( air dry) and she sold(yay!) Jump forward till now and i have her back because she needs an updo. Figured id strip( mona Lisa brand paint thinner) and start anew, well her face fell apart. I have stripped many before and had no problems. I watched it crack and tear almost like dry rot. There is NO fixing this.just wondering if that’s even possible? I have other ldc kits that ive stripped with that and was fine.anyone ever have that happen?
Here are the pictures

4 Likes

Oh no!

1 Like

Ouch!!

I know! I hate to throw the whole thing out, but finding a replacement head in that size and style may prove to be a lost cause.

3 Likes

I know right? Im just trying to understand how and why.

1 Like

Did you buy her second hand? She didn’t have any of that when she sold? Is it possible the damage was done by the owner? This is crazy! And scary…could it be that the paint thinner cleaned off some thick medium or other vinyl repair substance that was hiding this?

2 Likes

No she was first quality, i bought her from irrisitables. I was the one who originally painted her and it was the typical squishy vinyl. The condition she came back in wasnt bad, but i have learned a few new techniques so i was starting over. I have alot of the ldc kits now im worried about kit integrity. * sigh

1 Like

Did you ask her owner if she was exposed to a lots of sunlight and may be that cause vinyl to dry?
How long ago you initially painted her?
How long generally vinyl kits lasts?

2 Likes

Acetone? It eats vinyl.

2 Likes

No i used odorless paint thinner. Mona lisa kind. Ive stripped them before and never had that happen. I have other kits from that line that are my keepers. Im just concerned about the kit integrity now on them.

Im not sure about where she was stored or set. I do know that shortly after she got her one of her kids pulled her arm off the connector so she was stored for several months. But i got her 12 -16-18 and she was sold shortly before Christmas.so not that long. I have 2 that are older than that and im concerned on how long they will hold up now.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry @grannyx3 !!!

Thank you nikki your so sweet!

1 Like

I am so sorry it happened. I understand that you are worried as less than a year it’s no time to disintegrate like that :frowning:

Thank you. I was just wondering if any one else has ever had that happen before. It was cool and crazy to watch. It literally crumbled. Ive never seen that before.ill just check on my boys often to make sure they are holding up.

This is also ldc vinyl and my favorite and id truly be devastated if he fell apart. Hes a shelia micheals. Same squishy vinyl.

4 Likes

He’s beautiful!:heart:

Hes my special boy.and thank you

1 Like

I have the exact same thing happened to me yesterday while stripping my Poppy. I don’t know why. It’s on the eyes and lips. I figure I will put some glue on the cracks and hope for the best.

Has anyone compared labels on the Mona Lisa thinner to see if anything has changed in their formula lately? I haven’t bought any recently, but something like that could probably cause this and it’s worth checking!

1 Like