Possible scam

So a lady messaged me on Instagram. First she wanted two dolls and when I told her I didn’t have any she switched to wanting outfits. She wanted to buy what I had so I sent her an invoice. She claimed to have paid it and sent me screenshots. However, I got a your invoice could not be sent notice and there were no funds in my PayPal. I sent those to her and she said I should check my spam folder. Sure enough, this was there

I’m not sure what to think. She was very upset when I told her that that isn’t how PayPal works. I just want some eyes on it to tell me if I could possibly wrong.

1 Like

Looks like a scam to me. What is the sender email of the paypal email?
I think there is a “show more” button that expands and shows sender email address

3 Likes

Total scam. I’ve dealt with this on Facebook Marketplace twice now. Block this person on Facebook and Messenger ASAP, and block their email address, as well!

2 Likes

It’s through Instagram. I don’t know how to block on there. Is there any way severing ties with this person is going to come back on me?

It wouldn’t let me copy and paste so I took a screenshot.

Click on their name at the top of the IG chat, then “options”, then “block”. I suppose if they really wanted to come after you from a different account they could, but most of these people, once blocked, leave you alone and move onto something else.

And sorry I missed the IG part- it’s a common scam on Marketplace so my brain assumed :heart:

1 Like

Thanks, Joy. It’s stupid that it has to be this hard to sell things.

1 Like

I agree, it’s super frustrating!

1 Like

It’s interesting that she knew right away to check the spam folder. And how many people go looking for dolls and then get clothes instead. Situations like this is why I don’t sell. Good for you not falling for it.

3 Likes

Forward the email to: phishing@paypal.com

1 Like

I just sent it. Thank you. I’m about 90% certain it’s fake but what if it isn’t? I also don’t want to sit on hold for hours calling PayPal when it’s likely a scam. I mean, did she just think I was going to send stuff to her without getting the money first? Are there people that do that?

That’s what I was thinking. It wasn’t adding up.

You can tell it’s 100% fake because “Soon as this is done,” is incorrect grammar and also, PayPal won’t ask for money, nor would they give you a $50 free credit. Furthermore, PayPal does not use @gmail for their service.

7 Likes

I googled the gist of the message to you and it appears to have been going around since 2015. Scam for certain.

3 Likes

@Alypants @pia Thank you both. This is so dumb.

I think the next step in this scam would be to ask you to refund the overage to the buyer. You would send back 100 dollars and she would disappear with your money. Definitely a scam.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking. I’ve been in a situation where they said I could only get so much money a month with my PayPal account. They held the money and it was visible in my PayPal account. They said to apply for a limit increase. They didn’t ask me to put more money in my account.

Thank you, everyone. I just didn’t want to make a mistake. I will block her and move on.

3 Likes

Among other things, this right here tells you it’s a scam. PayPal would never do this.

4 Likes

Yes. That was the biggest red flag I saw.