Placing eyes in a kit

I have what might be a dumb questions but do you put the eyes in a kit before you paint it? I have been having issues with having the paint under the eyes stretch and turn white when I have put them in after I was done painting.

Same as Simone here.

I use GHSP, wait til done and varnished… flip it upside down, squish, squeeze, stretch, cuss… etc :wink: Only paint issue I have had was the very edge by the neck flange area, once… it rubbed it lighter there…

3 Likes

I Forgot to say I insert from the back

1 Like

Lolol, that is why I buy closed eyes lol.

3 Likes

My method, exactly! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I paint for a while, than get too anxious to see what the eyes look like. I paint with them in and then use a bit of thinner later to wipe them off. They look a bit cloudy but I then use a rag to wipe them and they are fine. Later they get sealed and are clear and glossy. I’ve done this for years with front insertion IF the socket looks big enough. Forget those little scrunchy eyes! Lol

I put the eyes in last from the back. I use air dry paint but I don’t want the eyes to get messed up. The very last thing I do is gloss.

I put the eyes in before I varnish. But make sure the opening is big enough. I was cutting a little and then trying to shove them in. Now I cut a large enough opening, glue them in and put Mole Skin over the glue after it has dried for extra security. A little tricky but it works for me. Then varnish and gloss. I use air dry.

1 Like

Ha Ha Ha, my method too…and then I have to go ice my hands!
Might have to try inserting from the front one of these days, but I’ve got a feeling the fear of the vinyl splitting might be harder to take than smushing the face down to the neck opening and shoving in the eyes from the back!

2 Likes

I use forceps to insert the eyes on the bigger babies. I can usually get the ones for the smaller babies in using just my finger.

I feel the same frustration with eyes. Most of mine are sleeping.
It’s probably wrong, but here’s how I do it…the only way that works for me.

I paint the edges of the eyelids with a pale flesh color and then insert the eyes. I just have to be very careful about painting the rest of the head. I would mangle the baby so badly getting those eyes in that paint rubbed off in spots and I would end up repainting the head anyway.

1 Like

I use air dry paints, but even when I used heat set, I put the eyes in before I finished painting. I guess I’m not very good at visualizing so I have to actually see what they look like.

Lolol I freaked everyone out sending eyeless pics. I still think he’s cute. I cut the back of his eye and going to slide in from the back. Waiting to varnish him today or tomorrow and then I will try eyes. I want eyes to the side and it sounds complicated.

1 Like

I forgot that my hands are small with long fingers, lol. I think that is why it is easy for me to insert the eyes from the back. I wear a size 4 to 4.5 ring, lol.

2 Likes

Awe! Nicolai :heart:

ok so It’s not just me with paint rubbing off trying to get the eyes in, I will definitely try maybe cutting the backs a little bigger and maybe using the moleskin (sp) for extra protection

Yes! He is too cute! I want him to be my keeper. Maybe lol

1 Like

He’s got a big ol head but he is a cutie! I fell for mine too, but don’t keep them. :wink:

Here’s mine

Awww love him. Yes his head is big!!!

1 Like