Photography

How do you guys do photography? Like where, I am having trouble getting the right lighting and backgrounds, which is kind of funny because I do photography in my free time and I have never had problems with photography before but I seem to be having problems trying to photograph the babies, also fun question, what are your what are your favorite props?

I also have issues with my lighting, I’m am looking into getting some photography lighting to see if that helps, as far as ideas I watched a ton of tutorials about real newborn photography on you tube and it helped a lot.

1 Like

I have switched all my bulbs to LED. I have photo umbrellas.

2 Likes

My kids got me this for christmas and they have made a huge difference!!! I had never used umbrellas before but I’m shocked at the difference they have made.

My favorite props are cheesecloth wraps, baskets, and antique weight scales, stuffed animals, bottles and antique baby products and HATS!

This is my photography before lighting…just using windows, notice the shadow on the backside of babys head:

This is my last baby WITH the lighting…notice how the light really surrounds the whole baby:

Thats alls I gots!

3 Likes

I’ll take a pic of my props and share later :slight_smile: I’m waiting on a scale pan to come in to replace the one I “tried” to polish up lol. FAIL. HAHA!

Here is an antique baby scale I found :slight_smile: Its wonderful!!!

3 Likes

And here is another scale I am working on restoring…its the one I messed the metal pan up on when I tried to polish it…it is brass.

2 Likes

I have a huge window in my front room, and we are on the side of the street that always gets the sunshine (when it decides to show between the clouds, that is). I only like to use natural lighting, so if I have to use artificial light, I will use natural light bulbs from Amazon.com I always use my bouncer ($15 at a resale shop a few years ago), covered with the blanket that the baby will bring home. I don’t use toys unless it’s an open eyed baby. I also use my pillow pets and a laundry basket to take photos of the baby on their stomach. The mini pillow pets also come in handy when you’re trying to highlight a specific detail and don’t want to take up too much room.
Here are my favorite photos from 2016…

I love your photos! Those are the same lights I was looking to get, now that I know what they can do I will definitely be ordering some.

1 Like

This may be a bit personal and I am sorry if it is. But did you see a profit difference when you had better lighting? Like did you notice that your baby with the better lighting sold for more than the other one?

I dont sell my babies …yet :slight_smile: I’m still learning and have a long way to go. But for now I am enjoying making babies for family and friends. The Indian baby in the second photo is my fourth baby. He is for my mom when his shutterfly book comes in which should be this week! I might sell babies in the future…but personally from my other business, photos ARE what sells your product. The better the photo the more the product will fetch in both interest as well as income. This is a fact. So you should be spending a great deal of time on photography if you plan on selling. Plan to spend several hours and think hard about poses, positions, and props as well as outfits. The buyers cannot hold, see your baby, so its up to you to give them as much to go on as possible. Poor photography can take a baby you poured your heart into and is well done and make it look cheap and underappreciated. But great photography can take that same baby and make it look like a prototype baby. In fact, all of the prototype artist have one thing in common…photography that is spot on! And I am convinced many many ladies who reborn 1) Beat themselves up because they think their babies arent good enough 2) Are in fact producing babies that are every bit as good as prototype babies. The key is in the photography. YOU MUST NOT downplay, and rush this step.

3 Likes

I often use one of those foam project boards that students use (white) to bounce light form the window to the back of the baby. You have to put it super close to the baby though. I did not have to use it on my last baby…just the umbrella lights worked wonders. They are awesome…I am a believer now in them.

1 Like

I forgot to say…that before using the umbrella lights…I had to spend some time edited pictures that were too dark or over saturated. But on my last baby, I didnt touch a thing. Those are raw pics.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you. Really? You don’t sell? Hmm…I definitely think both babies are beautiful enough to sell! :wink:

1 Like

hehe thank you :slight_smile: I just wanna do better and its easy to be creative when you are learning I think :slight_smile:

I cant see the pictures…oh nevermind I see them! I think those are great pics :slight_smile: And a beautiful kit as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am kind of new to the reborning arterstry and this is a shot of the feet and head of my first doll so excuse me if this is felt as wrongly displaying a doll. I am nevertheless more experiencesd in photographing other works of art and my best tip is using natural light at the golden hour.

2 Likes

@manopoupee :astonished: Wow!!! Those feetsies!!!

2 Likes

Thanks you! There is something about baby feet isn’t there💖

1 Like

LOVE those baby feet! :heart: