People think my doll is "terrifying"

I am making a doll for a coworker (I reborn very slowly as I have a full time job and am a single mom of a just turned 7 year old). So this is the same doll I have been working on for weeks.

Anyway, I bring her to work periodically to show her new mommy her progress.

3 other co-workers have seen her and say she is terrifying.

One said she is posting it on Facebook because she is so creepy, another lady was afraid to touch her.

6 Likes

Oh donā€™t even worry! Everyone says that about almost all of them. They think theyā€™re creepy because we are good artists and the kits are so realistic. Just means youā€™re doing an awesome job. Donā€™t let them get to you. :heartpulse::heartpulse: He is looking beautifully real!

3 Likes

Yep, if theyā€™re creepy, must mean youā€™re doing a good job. However, when I first started I thought the awake babies were creepy without eyes :eyes: in. I only did sleeping babies for the first 6-9 months because I didnā€™t want to see the kits without eyes. :joy:

2 Likes

I had a long time friend tell me that she couldnā€™t touch one of my reborns because she was sure it was searching for a soul to make it completeā€¦ I looked at her likeā€¦Are you kidding meā€¦I didnā€™t really respond except to tell her that was sillyā€¦ She seemed completely serious.

1 Like

Yeah maybe next time pop some temporary eyes in there and maybe they wonā€™t be as creeped outšŸ˜Š

2 Likes

WOW!!! Terrifying is even better than creepy!!! :smile: Way to go, Iā€™m soooo proud of you!!! Iā€™ve said over and over that I strive for creepy but hey, you just raised the bar!!

Your baby is looking GREAT!!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Her hands are very well done. Sheā€™s looking beautiful. I take creepy as a total compliment.

She is lovely, my family thinks my dolls are creepy as well, and thatā€™s when I know they look great. No worries just put in her eyes and she will be perfect. great job.

I WISH I could put temp eyes in (I donā€™t like the empty eye sockets either) but I donā€™t have any. I reborn very slowly ( I have been doing it for 8 years but only turned out 12 babies (13 with this one)- tho I also reborn Disney Animator dolls, and my daughterā€™s play doll, so I get more practice then ā€œ12 babiesā€ would imply)

But anyway, I (as a lower income single mom) buy quality parts but only one baby at a timeā€¦ I have a few extra bodies, and some extra mohair, but the only extra eyes I have right now are 22mm and she (heā€™s gonna be a she) takes 18 so that wonā€™t help.

She (the co-worker) is buying all the peices, but she is buying them one peice at a time for cost reasons. She wants nice glass eyes, but I told her to wait till she was rooted as the rooting is very ā€œbouncyā€ and I donā€™t want the eyes to get dislodged. (If they were front insert acylics I would have put them in by now).

Here is an example of not reborning /reborning I mentioned I have done more then actual reborning. But my daughter plays with these so they ate not as detailed.

10 Likes

I was informed that one of mine was freaky on Facebook the other day.I said well thank you,if she is freaky real enough to creep you out ,I guess I did a fabulous job on her. lol

To a reborn artist, having someone say your WIP is creepy or terrifying is a compliment. It means they canā€™t cope with the realism and you are doing a good job! Carry on and keep your head up, and donā€™t worry about taking it slow. Gestation for a reborn is hilariously flexible!

1 Like

@Emmy That blue eyed ā€œnot rebornā€ that you did is crazy cute! What kind of doll is she? Did you reborn a play doll?

1 Like

He was originally a Disney Animators Ariel from a thrift store. Kinda like this one:

1 Like

Those are beautiful! Iā€™ve got four animator dolls myself. My friends and I are crazy about them. Id be afraid to customize them, though.

Your skintones are amazing. Nice job. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Donā€™t take it to heart.

1 Like