Partial silicone painting

For those of you who paint silicone, what method do y’all use to paint partials? Do you set them down and do one side at a time? Do you hold them by the flange and pounce at them in the air? I’ve tried holding them to paint all sides but since the joints in my hands have worsened I can’t hold them up for too long without it being uncomfortable or painful. Plus I don’t have a good set up to let them cure without laying them down, but since I’ve got a dedicated craft room I’m all ears to making myself a good drying setup!
So how do all of you go about painting and drying partials?

3 Likes

I’m not certain, but I think I recall seeing that @RosieCait spikes her parts on a base to keep them in place.

3 Likes

Bearclawcreations on youtube had hers on a wooden rack and had something tied around the flange to hold them.

I dont know if she explains it directly but this video shows the rack in the background.

Found this on Etsy a few weeks back but I can’t find it now.

2 Likes

Oh I love that! I wonder if I could convince a friend who does woodworking to make me one, paid of course!

I use receipt spikes! Cheap on Amazon

9 Likes

I paint one side at a time then hang them to dry. They are too floppy to paint in one go.

2 Likes

I hung mine by the flanges off of our broken down 3D printer when I painted one but I do not recommend it! They swung all over and it made it hard to pounce them. I ended up taking them off, painting one side at a time and hanging to dry.

@RosieCait 's receipt spikes look like they would be much more stable to work from. It looks like they’re even holding up Joseph! That kit looks so squishable to begin with but even more so in silicone, I hope you will share them when they are complete.

4 Likes

I have been using the receipt spikes too for cuddle heads. I have not tried full limbs on them.

4 Likes

I really love this idea. No chances of falling off and getting linty and they have such a small footprint.

2 Likes

I love this idea! What size do you recommend? I’m going to order some before I forget :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Q7YXHPN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got these.

3 Likes

I hang mine. I tied cotton cord around the flange, and suspend them with a hook. I have a metal shelf above my work desk that I hang them from. I use a waitress check stand for the head, but would also use it for limbs if I didn’t have a place close by to hang them.

7 Likes

In the past I have hung mine too but it has been a long time since I did a partial other than my 1/4 limb kit but I hung those too. I use receipt stand for the head only.

1 Like

The ones Ang linked will work! I have two sets so I can work on a partial and an additional head at the same time

2 Likes

I was just about to ask if they worked for bigger silicone babies because I want to paint Aero!!

1 Like

I also add a couple of tack sponges under the neck flange for support.

3 Likes

Have you ever had issues with the receipt spikes ruining the silicone? I worry about them poking out the other side of the limb.

Nope! If they poke through (which I’ve done on accident) you just pull it out and seal the hole, you can’t even see it. I put the pieces on before I start painting and I don’t take them off until after matting

4 Likes

I made mine using PVC pipe, “S” hooks and zip ties for drying my parts. It’s easy to make, inexpensive, lightweight, multiple uses and does the job for me. I love PVC.:rofl:

I like to put on a neck ring to support the head, and use a 4" turn table. Depending on how top heavy it is, I hold it from the neck after painting around the neck. Otherwise, I keep it steady supporting it with my fingers on the top of the head.

I found it easier to paint with the soles flat on my table, paint from the bottom up. The same with the arms. Those who have little fists, same, I just do the little fingers after. It’s a lot less “jello” giggling!

4 Likes