Panpastel medium?

I know this has been asked before and I looked in old posts and saw that many people were using Glass and Tile over the powders. I just ordered all the colours in April Yap’s tutorial *Thanks April :slight_smile: * and I can’t order from Macphersons to get the spray medium right now because its too much in shipping (Im in France) and I have a doll coming from BB as it is. I have about five unused bottles of G&T medium because I thought I would need it when I first started but used the Liquitex mediums instead…I have recently switched to Golden fluid paints and I have a ton of their mediums as well. Anyone have any advice as to what I should use?

Check with @anjsmiles. She had a recipe for a setting spray but I couldn’t find it.

1 Like

If you are using Golden products you can do one of 2 things.
If you plan to continue painting, you can use the Golden Fluid Matte Medium straight or thinned with a little distilled water and pounce that on as your fixative to set your powders. Let it air dry and then continue to paint.
If you are using the powders as your last step and plan to seal the kit you can still do this and then apply your vanish layer. OR If you are using an isolation coat before varnishing such as the Golden Soft Gel gloss method that MGDolls teaches then I am pretty sure you can just go over the powders with this product and seal them at the same time. Then you would apply your final varnish over the Soft Gel gloss. I myself use the RebornFX Sealer over mine and then continue to paint or varnish.

1 Like

I’m experimenting with an airbrush. So far, it it fine to use with pastels. I’m using liquitex matte varnish. It’s the most durable varnish that I tested against DecoArt Soft Touch and Ultra Matte. Liquitex blotted on seemed very shinny but with an airbrush application, it was more matte.

3 Likes

Would Liquitex matte varnish be similar to the Golden Matte medium?

1 Like

Thanks so much :slight_smile: I think Ill try the Fluid Matte Medium first and see how that works. I know Melissa has promised a Panpastel video sometime in the near future. I would use the Reborn FX sealer but right now I don’t have any dolls to buy from Macpherson’s so Id rather wait until I do, save on shipping and taxes, then I can try that out as well.

I dont have the regular liquitex matte, only the gel and it is too rough to use, also since experimenting with Golden medium’s and paints I find that I like them more than the liquitex. My husband is thrilled that there is a huge pile of paints and mediums now sitting in a box LOL. Still, I thank you for your advice :blush:

@RebornsbyZebra what is it about the golden paints that you prefer over liquitex?
I can take your liquitex paints and mediums off your hands!

1 Like

I live in France, where are you?
They seem to be, not only easier to use (Golden fluid) but the colours are more vibrant, at least to me. The fluid paints drip out of the bottle so its far less waste. I was using mainly Liquitex and JoSonja paints and they are pretty comparable in texture and colour. I also like the Golden mediums and started using them several months ago before I changed my paints.
If you are too far away, don’t worry, I homeschool my kids so my paints will get some use :wink:

2 Likes

I am in the USA, but I lived in France before the US left there, so long ago. I lived in Orléans. I was very young but have the greatest memories. Glad your children will be using them, lol!

I really like the liquitex and will keep using them unless Baby FX comes back.

1 Like

No, varnish and medium are 2 different things. Medium is designed to thin paints and add binders/sealers to paints that promote better adhesion. Varnish is designed to create a final sealing surface barrier against scratches and fading. I have tried the LIquitex varnish many years ago and I did not like it as I found it left my kit feeling slightly tacky. I know others do use it but that was my experience with it.

Im actually a US citizen but my husband is French. I met him while he was working at the University of California San Diego. We moved here about 8 years ago. We live outside of Lyon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oooo I wanna come live by you guys, lol!

1 Like

It is nice, I have to admit. We bought some land and live out in the country. We take our dogs for walks at night surrounded by grape fields. I still haven’t gotten over how beautiful it is :slight_smile:

1 Like