Painting through it

So I decided to paint heavy browed Daisy, thought I would make her ethnic, then she turned orange, then she turned grey, then purple, then chalky…wanted to give up.

I was thinking, “damn I am not good at this, I should be good at this, I am an artist, it’s a doll, this is not rocket science…but I may need to admit defeat”

Then I started thinking maybe I would join the Zombie squad make cute scary dolls.

When I started this I was “whoot, whoot, I love babies, I love dolls, I am creative, how hard can this be lets buy everything and do this!”

Today I was less confident.

The harder I try the more odd it gets. I have nothing to compare to. The photos online don’t show the details, the real details people who are making these dolls are interested in, like the red way-up-close on fingertips and are the creases in feet suppose to be messy under a magnifier, is this chalky, blue, too orange?

I sure wish we all lived closer and could do some serious critique.

Seven bake-that-baby later I think she is coming together, I think, under the ott light she looks a little more brown and not so uneven (thank goddess for blue wash). She’s beautiful or a hot mess, can’t tell, may have inhaled too much thinner and hot vinyl.

I want to be good at this if only to to be good at this, (my type A may be showing a little).

To you ladies who have been doing this for years and do it well hats-off-to-ya. This is hard work and it requires so much skill and patients. If i hopped on this forum with too much attitude I apologize, I have been humbled.

8 Likes

Aaaw. Don’t give up. It’s really fun when you get the hang of it. One of the first ones I did I put in a consignment store for sale. It didn’t sell so I took it home and put it away. About a year later I took it out and was absolutely mortified that I had expected anybody to pay money for it. lol. I stripped it and redid it. So much better.

4 Likes

It’s not so easy is it?? I sympathize with you, lately I have been second guessing myself on just about everything. One of those things is color for lips-----I never used to have this problem. Then it’s something else, and something else again, over and over and over. Somedays I want to give up, then I look at the cute babies and decide I better keep going, I will be good at this one day!! God willing and the creek don’t rise!!

6 Likes

Don’t give up if you love it! It’s not an easy art, but it’s so rewarding! For myself… I’m trying to find a niche in a sea of reborn artists… Not easy…

It’s a talent that’s for sure! You will get there!