Over greasy doll kits! Advice needed

Just wondered if anyone could advise me on this please. I have a lily rose and luke kit which i have bathed 4 times with a good washing liquid (never had this issue before and reborned a fair amount of dolls!) but these 2 kits are overly greasy! Not had any kits that had so much of a greasy feel :unamused: they are very sweet kits and im awaiting a rubbing solution now to see if that gets it all off! Has anyone had these kits and noticed the same thing? Im wondering now if it is grease (after 4 soaks !) or if the kit feels more silicone like? Any advice greatly appriciated.

1 Like

Ive also seen a few with similar issues…who advise to matt varnish the doll kit before applying any paints… Does anyone second this idea? Or do this themselves? Thankyou :grin:

I’ve had kits from the same supplier and the vinyl feels very slick and soft like silicone. I use air dry paints and the paint took really well x

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback :relieved: i did start to wonder if these kits just felt more silicone like , because the amount of baths ive given so far - is crazy . thankyou x

2 Likes

You’re welcome, hon x

1 Like

I always use rubbing alcohol on mine, even after a bath…it tends to get the last bits of it off an sometimes I think some detergents have ‘hand friendly’ agents in them to keep ladies hands from drying out so that may be an issue depending on detergent you use???

5 Likes

If it really is oil or greasy feeling, the matte varnish wouldn’t stick either, I think there was an issue with this a long time ago, someone Matte varnished before painting and then later on the matte started to come off, taking all the paint with it. I haven’t done these kits so I can’t tell you my opinion on them, I’d just make sure your using dawn or another good grease cutting soap and make sure you rinse all the soap off and then wipe down with alcohol and let air dry. You should be able to notice right away when you start to apply paint, if it is just silicone feeling vinyl or if it is really greasy, bc your paint won’t stick or cure.

3 Likes

Thankyou ladies , used the rubbing solution to be extra sure . all sorted now and paint going on lovely :relieved::grin: thankyou for the help & advice x

6 Likes

I had a major issue with one of those kits. Paint wouldn’t take at all. It was all good though, because I found out it was a stolen sculpt. So, I just threw it away.

2 Likes

Hmm…well i have to say im having issues with this kit (the luke kit). I guess i was worried from the word go …now hes developed a small split (AND again i add i havent ever had this issue eithor). Ive contacted the seller now.

Had to happen to the actual doll ive been dying to get lol. Im wondering as this is a keeper baby if i can silicone that split shut??

I wont be reborning this kit again …lol.

http://discourse.bountifulbaby.com/t/vinyl-repair-experiment-works/13061

4 Likes

Thankyou- i need to track this down UK version . im keeping this one so its not so bad , but cannot figure out why its happened :frowning: not had it happen to any others at all. But apart from that the dolls starting to look lovely… Im confident i can seal the split and sure it will be hardly recognisable when complete x

1 Like

This little fella is a chinese kit. I have a reborning friend who bought some of those as well and she painted all the way though to the last couple of coats and hers split as well… I think she told me she had to put so many more layers on it just to try to get it to take any colour. They’re some sort of sili-vinyl that kept absorbing all the colour, then after all that work it split…(Can’t remember where hers split but I’m thinking it was in front of or somewhere near one of the ears.) The lady she bought it off sent her another head but really, after all that work I think I would have just cried… :smile:

1 Like

There’s a silicone version of this kit and it seems unbelievably cheap…but then people get it and realize its tin and their paints won’t stick. Besides the fact that they copy kits, that’s just another reason to stay away from unknown chinese companies. The quality reflects in the price.

2 Likes

Thankyou, my partner had suggested this afternoon … it could be a kit from china .the vinyl wasnt right to start with so had me thinking straight away . very dissapointed but i will stick to better known kits in future. Im hoping the seller will resolve somehow … I brought on ebay and as the kit looked so good and was a uk seller i didnt think twice . it was also by the ear (the split) on my kit…i did absolutely nothing different and know i never caused it myself. Such a shame ! But you live you learn :relieved: thanks again ladies x

1 Like

If you bought it from Babies4u200 , their customer service is very good x

Sorry you’ve had so much trouble with your kit :unamused:

2 Likes

Ive ordered from that seller before and she is lovely. And she does indeed provide fantastic customer service :slight_smile: