Other brands of heat set paints UPDATES will be posted here

Well so far I am loving the Xodus Thinner.
I am happy with all the mediums I have tried from Xodus really.
The IRHSP matte seems pretty matte so I think it is fine too.
I was a bit concerned that the BC Paints varnish might have sheen as it says Semi-matte. On my vinyl swatch they all did the same. The true test will be when I do a baby and we can see things like fingers, toes, knees, elbows, cheeks. All areas I call “high spots” that catch the light. This is where you find out how matte something really is. I used to want the dead mattte of GMV but I have come to appreciate a very slight bit of dewey moist look. I do not like anything that resembles sheen though.
I want to dig out some test limbs and do a sample of each on those to look at these things.

3 Likes

I would like to update you all that Esther is sending me some of the IRHSP thinning medium to try in my paint mix and also has said I should add more paint to the mix than I did so that I can get a better color saturation. I will update you all when I get this product and retry using this paint.

2 Likes

I love their thinning medium as it’s very matte.

1 Like

Which one? IRHSP, Xodus or BC Paints?
I love the Xodus one. I have yet to try the other two.

I reached out to Sandie (Dolls By Sandie) and she referred me to this Q&A link that answers and addresses some of the issues I was having with the BC paint. It does seem that it is very important to use their thinning medium when mixing the paints. Even if you wish to use odorless thinner, Beatriz states that you should also add a small amount of BC thinner to the mix. You can read more here: https://www.dollsbysandie.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=14571

1 Like

So I notice that BB shows some “Pratt” paints… any information on them?

2 Likes

I have not heard one word about those from anyone and I have not gotten any. I am spent out LOL!

I will say that I think when it is all said and done that both the IRHSP and BC Paints are very similar to each other. The BC Paint overall seems to be stronger in pigments to me. So some may like them better for that reason and others may prefer the IRHSP. It does seem the IRHSP is going to require adding more paint to the mix than I am used to with Genesis to get the color strength I want. I will know more when I get their thinning medium and can mix it better. Both Esther and Beatriz have stated in their responses to questions about odorless thinners or solvents that the paints will not perform well with only those. They both suggest that if you wish to use these thinners that you do so with some of their respective thinning mediums added to the mix as well to make the paints dissolve better into a more blended suspension.

1 Like

Irhs. Esther sent me the complete line of mediums to try a couple of months ago.
**edited to add that I’ve used them with ghs paints. I have not bought any of their paint line.

2 Likes

I had the same issue using thinner with BC. I tried Mona Lisa, Gamsol in addition to my regular kleanstrip mineral spirits I use, because i thought it was my thinner. A couple people have told me since then that BC needs to be mixed with thinning medium, that it goes gritty and gummy in thinner.

1 Like

I haven’t used the Pratt Paint colors, but I did buy a jar of the thick medium. It was fairly thick but so so so sticky! I got some on my hand opening the jar and it wouldn’t come off! I scrubbed, wiped it with mineral spirits and ended up finally getting it off with coconut oil and a nail brush. I didn’t try it on a doll after that, but I’m curious about others experiences with them also.

I did do another test where I took each of the paints and mixed them with ONLY New Formula Genesis Thinning Medium. This is heat set and the sheen is coming from using the higher temp required for the paints not being compatible to the New Formula of Genesis. It works fine but one just has to matte the new formula well at the end of painting. However, you can see a major difference in the color intensity of the blue of IRHSP vs BC Paints. I did this before Esther told me that I was probably not adding enough paint to my mix. However, I used approximately the same amount of paint in each mix so there you can see the IRHSP color is not as strong in intensity. Esther states that her paint is very highly pigmented but that I am just not using enough. I am going to play more before I say more.

2 Likes

Hmmm…if it is highly pigmented…I would think you would use less…:thinking:

For the same amount of paint used for the test…there is a huge difference.

1 Like

My thoughts too but I am holding my judgement til I actually get her thinning medium and use it with it to see exactly how it comes out when done the way she recommends.

Well… Irresistables will be more expensive to use since it will require more paint in the mix…

2 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking. I think Xodus is looking more attractive to me.

I know some really like the IRHSP mediums and say they work well with Genesis. I like the varnish ok on my testing. I do think overall that paint system is going to be more expensive. Xodus mediums are fabulous. The only different thing I have found with those is that if you apply the SatinTex thickly it needs to be heated at 270 and baked 9 mins. If it is not cured completely, it will feel tacky when it comes out of the oven and after it cools. I find for me I have to bake it twice when doing hair texture and even 10 mins each time. I did that with Genesis satin on hair too though but this brand you feel the tacky more when it is not set all the way. Xodus does not have paints out yet. They are working on formulation but still trying to find a place to make them that will be more cost effective for everyone. So not sure when they will be coming out. However I am liking how the BC Paints performed for me when used with Xodus or Genesis mediums. So if anyone needs paints I would say try those first and get their thinning medium. I ordered some of it today as well as 2 brown colors to see if they are rich enough to paint hair without using a ton of paint. The other one out there is the Phoenix brand and I have not gotten any of those.

3 Likes

I also wanted to come back to say that Esther has reached out to me about her paints to clarify some things for us all. She confirms that her paints work best with the coordinating thinning medium and minimal amounts of solvents added in. She says “Our paints are made in quality materials at a factory that have been proven and tested for longevity and will not fade or peel. The mediums are top notch. These have been almost 3 years in the making.” I do think the guarantee behind her products as well as knowing they are produced in the USA are factors to consider when making your purchases. I also want to assure everyone that I have not given up on learning the proper way to make these work. I will update further when I have the thinning medium in hand.

3 Likes

Good morning to all! I have here another piece of information I am passing along. I realize as I am investigating various heat set paints that I am tossing out a lot of information here and there. Eventually I will compose an outline of my personal experiences. But for now, I am letting you all in on my process so that you see how I come to my end results. Thus the somewhat chaotic method explained. Also to be sure I am not recommending for or against any one brand. I am merely putting information out there and discussing my observations.
I had it suggested to me that the BC Paints might not be lightfast because the person saying this had not seen any informating regarding that. So as is my way, I go straight to the source and sent Beatriz an email. I share with you all the response I received this morning:
Hello Angie !
they do not contain additives for UV protection as additives are harmful. But they are resistant paints . Just like oils Art oils or acrylics do not contain sunscreen additives and are used for general art and doll art. The products that have UV protection for “fine” plastic arts, focused on art, are varnishes. BC varnish has a high protection from sunlight since there is polyurethane in its composition
Gretings!
Beatriz x

2 Likes

I have been doing a lot of research in regards to the statement about UV protectants in stabilizers being toxic. I am finding this is not true of them all. There are regulations on that and you can find information online about it. Information I have been given indicates quality paint pigments themselves should contain some lightfastness on their own depending on what kind is used. This is why a quality product with a generous quality pigment load is going to perform better than say a craft grade pigment paint. As for polymers protecting the paints, the textbook answer is that they are indeed subject to photo-degradation when exposed to ultraviolet light. This can be prevented by adding UV stabilizers to the polymer when mixing. If the varnishes we use do not have UV protection/stabilizers added to them they are not going to protect against UVLs. Using a varnish with light stabilizers gives added protection to paints. I myself always look for this in a varnish as I believe it makes a difference in the longevity of the finish on the dolls. Genesis always had it in their varnishes. Genesis also was certified as non-toxic. So I know it is possible to do this. I have attached photos of the non-toxic labeling on my original formula GMV to prove this.

4 Likes

Thank you, because I was thinking, if Genesis matte is toxic due to UV protectants, then that’s bad because I rub it all over the kit with my hands, like lotion. Glad I wasn’t poisoning myself.

1 Like