Orange/pink kits

I’ve gotten kits from Macpherson arts and crafts and they look orange/pinkish and dark. How do I color correct them?

I got a Jamie kit by Linde Sherer.

use the opposite color on the color wheel

3 Likes

Thank you :hugs:

1 Like

I might return it but theres a restocking fee of 15.00 and I have to pay for shipping so I would lose 30.00 or more.

I would use a blue/green color to neutralize. You could try that with some white in it perhaps so it comes out lighter

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll try that if I don’t return it.

I always do two layer of blue to neutralise orange with air dry

1 Like

I try to avoid adding white or skin tones with white in them to the color as it makes the vinyl go opaque and can make the skin tones look dead. Sometimes that seems to be the only thing to do though and in those cases I use a more translucent mix with lots of thinner in it.

Well I wouldn’t add white with skin colors, but neutralizing I probably would. My neutralizing colors are already premixed and have white in them so they are light.

I wasn’t talking about adding white to skin tones. I was saying many premixed skin tones and some other colors have white mixed in them, which can impart an opaqueness to the skin tone making it look lifeless. So I use them very thinned if using but try to avoid them all together when I can.

Ohh sorry, I see what you mean.

1 Like

I always use white mixed in flesh 08 with a touch of Genesis yellow to neutralize my orange vinly, and have never had a lifeless look to my babies. I find it cuts the orange the best and helps keep it from coming back through like it does for me if I only use blues to neutralize.

1 Like

Interesting that the yellow doesn’t enhance the orange for you.

2 Likes

Thank you so much.

1 Like

I don’t add a lot. It makes the white look just a tad creamy. It does enough to keep the vinyl warm without making it too warm, and for me it cuts the orange back. I start my painting on a pale canvas.

2 Likes

Here’s Teddy. You can see her flange is orange (it’s more orange in person) but her face is more neutral with the neutralizing beneath the layers I’ve added. She’s fair right now since I haven’t added a lot of warming colors yet.

3 Likes

Yes, I can very much see it.
It does make the base color pale.

I like fair babies, so it works for me. I just hate orange vinyl. This base gives me a fair skin base. It makes the kits more like the color of BB kits. Yannie Legler was the first one I tried this on. His vinly was really orange.

https://discourse.bountifulbaby.com/t/whiting-out-a-kit/86010/13

2 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

I do layers of white with blue and white with yellow, usually about 3-4 blue layers to every 1 yellow. I pretty much only neutralize when I’m lightening, but it gives me a really great light neutral base.

2 Likes