Nose holes

Do most of you drill the nose holes open or paint the inside darker?

I just paint the inside darker.

1 Like

Paint the inside.

That is what I have been doing but someone questioned about one of my babies I had on youtube and they wanted to know if her nose holes were open. I had seen it done but wasn’t crazy about the thought of it.

1 Like

I never drill them. They are deeply sculpted in most cases so you can just shade them a bit. I never really like to do anything that compromises the vinyl unless I have to. It’s just another place that moisture can get in. I don’t really see a big difference when they are cut out or not cut out, but some people feel they look more realistic with them cut.

6 Likes

I paint them. A lot of people like washing their dolls hair and if any water gets inside, mildew can grow inside (blah!)

2 Likes

Me personally, i prefer them to be drilled out. The most realistic imo. But yes, moisture can get in. What i donwhen its bath time, is plug the nose with cotton just enough so water wont run in. But its all personal preference

1 Like

I use to be horrible at shading the inside of the nose, so i use to drill them. As my painting has gotten much better i dont drill them any longer

1 Like

I do both depending on how deep the nostrils are. My preference though is drilled. I just think it looks more natural.

4 Likes

I drilled nostrils on my very first baby and didn’t like it. Ever since then I’ve shaded.

1 Like

I open mine as well and friends and family have requested that on the ones I made for them it just depends on preferences I suppose .

1 Like

I almost always open the nostrils with a drill. I glue the dark felt behind the nose to give it depth

2 Likes

For me it depends on how deep the nostrils are. I personally like the realistic look of drilled nostrils, but as others have said, moisture can get in. So I don’t always do it.

1 Like

On the babies that I opened the noses I used a heated awl. The drill had too much vibration for me and made unwanted gouges on the nose and face. Most of the newer kits have fairly deep nostrils so now I just shade them.

2 Likes

Same here I use an awl as well it gives me more control .

The first three dolls I made, I drilled the nose holes. Then I read most people just painted them deeper so I did that. Most of the nose holes seem deep enough that I don’t think they need it.

1 Like

I drill them. I’m terrible at shading!

1 Like

oh i also had a really hard time at getting a hole that was big enough. the vinyl is so pliable and it only made a small hole, even when i used a gigantic drill bit and even tried to swirl it around like a file. then i tried filing it larger but i was messing up the outer nostril part. i just couldn’t get it where i like it. i wanted it perfectly realistic, not just a hole. my ultimate preference would be for the sculptor to sculpt them deep.i guess that would make the nostril very thin and easy to break while in clay mode.

1 Like

I use a dremel drill. It’s smaller and you can change the size of the drill bits easily and it’s so light it’s easier to hold it steady

1 Like

I want to paint or shade mine but the paint even in layers just isn’t building up. Olive has white nostrils :rofl: but she’s still beautiful. I’m working on another baby but again I’m trying to color the inside of the nostrils but then I end up blotting the paint up because it pools in there lol. Any tips please :wink: