New stripping agent needed 😬

So in an effort to save you all money and hopefully find a new idea, I decided to make this post:

Windsor and Newton have changed the brush cleaner and restorer to a new ‘gentle’ formula. I bought a huge $40 bottle not knowing that it will not strip a doll (at least not a completed one).

What do you guys use to strip? I know some use acetone but I heard it could damage the kit.

I know it’s better for the majority of artists, but as a trusted stripping when for reborn artists, the new formula is a hard pill to swallow. I bought a few bottles in the hope it would last a long while, considering I don’t use it often

Pic of the old and new formula for reference.

1 Like

This has been discussed on other threads. Some will use acetone buy back in the day of stripping lots of Berenguers we found this can make the vinyl very shiny and hard to take paint in spots. If you use it, do so in quick swipes with minimal scrubbing and be sure to wash kit with baking soda water to neutralize it some in case any residue left behind. Before we found W&N many of use used Goof Off. It works, just stinks badly. I also remember some saying they used Zip Strip. Another harsh smelling chemical that requires going outside I think. If I had to strip right now my vote would be the Goof Off and going outside. I know it works it is just smelly.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I just did a quick scroll down the recent threads as I thought this was a new change. I’ll have to try a search next time.

I did see another few brands of cleaner and restorer I thought I would try on a test limb. I just wish they offered sample sizes because I don’t want to spend $$$ on strippers I won’t use after(if they don’t work

The company is supposed to be sending out a new product to test to some of us.

3 Likes

I just got my test bottle

8 Likes

Do you have something to strip?

1 Like

I have a lightly painted kit that needs stripped and a test plate. So next time I paint I will do some layers on that also.

4 Likes

I saw another tester on FB say it did not work. I havent tried yet

I havent tried heat set yet…

But I did strip off air dry (Reborn FX and Golden) Primer was on about a week, then paint layers 1-2 days (all were dry to the touch)

It works but not as good as the old formula
It was hard to catch some of it on my phone camera

I only used q-tips and a wedge. (until I rewashed it after stripping with soap and water with a tooth brush)

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your report. Obviously new still doesn’t work as old, but I assume it’s an improvement from not doing anything.

3 Likes

Sue-Ellen Taormina just made a video showing a new product that seems to work on air dry! All credit goes to her. She has shared this publicly and in various Facebook groups this week.

She’s reached out to the company to check suppliers, and there are other companies around the world that may make similar concentrates that may be worth experimenting with. Also, I don’t think anyone has tested it on heat set paint yet. The video is really satisfying to watch.

1 Like

WOW thanks for sharing! I will pass this along to others for sure.
Tell Sue-Ellen many thanks from all of us!

1 Like

Send that stuff my way, I have a bunch of parts to strip.

1 Like

I would use 90% alcohol first, that would loosen up the paint and maybe grab a couple layers of. Then I’d go in for the kill with W&N . Well at least I used to. Before the change :persevere: